The Pros and Cons of The Satellite Housing Locations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Satellite locations are an awesome alternative to dorm housing that is offered through residence life. The two current buildings are Cityview Apartments and Trilogy Apartments. Both locations go onto your tuition as room and board so you are not responsible for monthly rent or amenities but you still get all the perks of living in an off campus apartment. While that might sound appealing, the satellites are not great for everyone. Here are some pros and cons of the Satellite locations, straight from a seasoned Cityview resident.

Fenway Trilogy Apartments, image c/o warrenre.com

Pros:

1.Your own Kitchen

As a person who loves cooking, this is a great advantage to have. However, even those who don’t have a culinary inclination can also appreciate this feature. You don’t have to worry about what time the caf or muddy will close, you don’t have to worry about not liking the food or getting bored with the food options, and best of all you can make healthy choices. The only down side is buying your own groceries but students who live in the Satellite locations aren’t required to buy a meal plan so those savings can go towards groceries!

2. A more private bathroom

While you still have three other roommates sharing your space, it is much better than a whole floor of people trying to brush their teeth at the same time in the morning. It is also so much nicer to shower without having three other people playing their music (or maybe even singing to themselves). Plus it’s way more convenient to pee in the middle of the night without worrying about finding your ID in a dark room or, even worse, leaving it in the bathroom.

3. A touch of freedom

While you are still bound by the rules in the student handbook and room inspections still happen on the regular, there is an air of freedom in every room of that apartment. You can plan and cook your own meals, get some space from your roommate by going out into the common room, decorate a whole place to your own liking, and even carry a real key like an adult. It is the trial run for the future and nothing feels as sweet as bringing friends in to see your totally cool, big kid apartment!

CityView at Longwood Apartments, image c/o equityapartments.com

Cons:

1.Cleaning

There is no one cleaning your bathrooms or your kitchen, no one vacuuming your floors, and no one dusting or sanitizing anything at all for you. It is entirely up to you. Making a chore chart with your roommates to divide up cleaning duties is a good way to solve this problem. Just make sure everyone is on the same page about cleaning expectations. Pro tip: don’t assign bathrooms to that roommate who thinks cleaning means quickly rinsing out the sink.

2. The walk

Trilogy is a tad closer to EC than Cityview, but the bitter cold of the Boston winter is enough to make even students with perfect attendance consider playing hooky at any distance. The other factor is the actual time it takes to walk there and back. That is an extra 15 minutes that you need to budget to get to class on time. That could mean getting up early or, way worse, skipping that starbucks run.

3. Living in close proximity to three other humans

While living in the dorm put you into contact with at least one roommate and a bunch of floor-mates, this is a tad different. Now if you want guests over or cook vibrant smelling foods, there are three people right in your living space to keep in consideration. Pro tip: sometimes good friends do not make good roommates.

If these pros sound great and the cons sound livable then you should definitely consider getting a good group together and trying for a satellite apartment!  

Recent grad who majored in psychology and minored in English literature at Emmanuel College in Boston. Desk Assistant for Residence Life, part time writer, and fully acclimated transfer student at EC. Cat video enthusiast. Special skills include: being boss at Cards Against Humanity, knowing way too much Harry Potter trivia and becoming emotionally attached to fictional characters. Loving life and hoping to one day make a difference.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.