An illustration of a medicine bottle and tissue box on a green background.
Original illustration by Nadia Bey
Wellness

Preparing for the Campus Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As the weather starts to turn colder, our immune systems become less apt to fight off the infections that tend to fester in group housing communities, i.e.: college. While winter continues to creep up on us, the amount of sniffling and held back coughs heard in the classroom is certainly amping up. The common cold makes its way through college students like nothing else, and there are also other conditions that may present themselves as a cold but could be something else entirely that is spreading through the population.

What is thought to be a common cold can quickly develop into more serious health conditions that make handling the already stressful balance of managing classes and having a life in college come to a grinding halt. The most common illnesses on college campuses are the flu, mono, strep, pneumonia, upper respiratory infections, the stomach bug, and sinus infections. Some of these require medical attention and the use of antibiotics to truly clear up the infection.  

All of these conditions with similar side effects are usually lumped into one general category referred to as the ‘[Insert College Name] Plague.’ This is usually due to two factors. One: college kids are already struggling financially and some do not have the time or funds to go to a doctor, pay a copay, and receive a diagnosis. They also may not have the time to take off work or class to let themselves truly rest and recover, allowing a common cold to develop into something much more serious. Two: since the symptoms of so many of these illnesses are so similar, they can be hard to accurately diagnose. 

Being sick away from home can be hard, so here are some tips for how to prepare your immune system to fight off illnesses including some home remedies and over-the-counter medicines that have been my personal life savers while sick!

Disclaimer: These are what I personally use, and I cannot swear to how effective they really are as there is not enough evidence to currently support whether or not they provide what they claim to do.

Preparing your immune system

• Emergen-C

This over-the-counter supplement claims to boost your immune system, helping it fight off cold-like symptoms. It also claims to shorten the length of your cold when using this supplement while actively sick. 

• Elderberry Supplements

Elderberries have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial effects. Elderberry gummies or Elderberry syrup, sold at Target, CVS, and most pharmacies, have similar claims to those of Emergen-C. 

• Exercise

As cliche as it may sound, many in the healthcare community theorize that exercising regularly can be incredibly beneficial to your immune system. Exercise already provides a number of proven health benefits, so this theory is not far-fetched by any means. Just be mindful of not overdoing it and putting too much strain on your body, especially when already sick!

Home Remedies

Here is just a brief list of some of the home remedies that I used—especially to alleviate my sore throat and pressure in my sinuses!

• Gargling salt water
  • Using a humidifier while I slept
  • Using a hot compress on my sinuses
  • Taking hot showers
  • Drinking hot liquids like tea—not coffee! 
  • Hot water with lemon, ginger, honey, and (optional) garlic 
  • Neti pot to clear out sinuses

Over the Counter Remedies

• Vix Vapor Rub

Vix Vapor Rub can be very helpful when you have a severe cough or a sore throat. I usually apply it to my chest and throat as the label recommends, but I have also heard that people swear by applying it to their feet as well!

• Tylenol Severe Cold & Flu

There are plenty of cold medicines out there and any will work fine, but when I was very sick this one was the most effective at relieving my symptoms. 

• Painkillers (Advil or Tylenol)

These can be very helpful in relieving pressure in your face and sinuses as well as headaches, but be very careful when taking these with cold medicine! You can take Advil and Tylenol Severe Cold and Flu at the same time, but you cannot mix two drugs containing Acetaminophen! Be sure to wait the appropriate time that the labels advise when taking any kind of drug, and do some research first just to be safe.

Again, this is just what worked for me when I came down with the usual campus sickness. My “campus plague” devolved into a sinus infection because I left it untreated for so long. If you are sick, please seek out healthcare services on campus or go see a doctor! Stay safe, and if you’re reading this because you’ve already caught whatever is going around feel better soon!

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.