Prepare for the Fair: The Dos & Don’ts of What to Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The 2016 Career and Internship Fair, hosted by the Emmanuel College Career Center, is happening tomorrow, Tuesday, March 22 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The flyers posted around campus remind attendees, “Interview attire and resume required.” But what exactly is interview attire? And how can you be sure that you’re dressing appropriately to meet potential employers? I sat down with Elizabeth Deren, Associate Director of the Career Center to dicsuss those questions and bring you the answers you need. Her biggest tip was to “show that you’re aware enough of the industry that you can reflect that industry through the choices that you make. You want them to be able to picture you working for them.” But how exactly do you do that? And what clothing items should you avoid? Keep reading for a list of dos and don’ts that will help you dress for success tomorrow afternoon!

DON’T wear patterned or brightly colored shoes.

While bright pink or leopard print flats may be cute, they’re not appropriate for interview attire. These kinds of shoes can be distracting. Elizabeth Deren’s thoughts on shoes are simple: “Grey, black, brown, tan. That’s it. I’ve seen people walk in in red shoes; They’ve got a great outfit and then you get down to the shoes, and it’s not going to kill your application necessarily, but you don’t want to be remembered as the applicant with the red shoes.”

DO wear close-toed, neutral colored flat shoes.

Instead of brightly colored or patterned options, reach for close-toed, neutral colored flat shoes. Close-toed is important, as sandals or anything open-toed are not appropriate for an office. Ballet flats and heels beneath two inches are also prefered. Anything with a platform is a no-go. Finally, keep your shoes a solid color. Like Elizabeth said, grey, black, brown, or tan are the best options.

DON’T wear jeans or leggings.

This rule is pretty self explanatory. If you’re trying to look appropriate for an interview, jeans and leggings simply won’t fly. Even dark wash or black jeans are not appropriate. Plus, anything skinny or tight-fitting (including slacks or pants) are not for the workplace.

DO wear boot-cut or wide-legged trousers.

Khaki, navy blue, black, or grey trousers are the perfect pant choice for the career fair. A wide fit is best as well. It will help you avoid skin-tight options and keep you looking professional.

DON’T wear skirts or dresses shorter than knee length.

This is a very common mistake women make when dressing for the fair. The below-your-fingertips trick won’t cut it in the world of business. Hemlines should graze the knee or fall below. Anything shorter is not appropriate.

DO pair outfits with a blazer or cardigan.

As college students, we may not own the perfect power suit just yet. However, there are ways to still look put together. “The employers here aren’t expecting a bunch of suits to walk in the door at a [college] career fair, but you want make sure that you show you have some sense of what it means to be a professional,” says Elizabeth Deren. Adding a blazer or cardigan to an outfit will do the trick. 

Three outfits that work and why:

This outfit pairs wide-leg trousers with a tailored button down and blazer. The stripes provide a youthful flair, but aren’t distracting. The nude-colored ballet flats finish off the look.

This dress, while floral, is appropriate because of its high neckline and hemline that hits the knee. Paired with a black cardigan and nude heels that aren’t too high, this look is perfect for the fair.

This look is a good example of improvised suiting. The black skirt is a great length and, paired with a white button down and black blazer, looks very professional.

Guys, we haven’t forgotten about you! Elizabeth says, “The biggest mistake men make is that their outfits are almost too styled, too trendy. It really is about knowing your industry.” Here are some of the most important guidelines that you should follow.

DON’T wear shoes without socks.

A popular style today is wearing pants that are cropped at the ankle to show off your shoes without wearing socks. This is not only kind of gross, it’s unprofessional. Be sure to wear socks with your shoes.

DO wear a neutral-colored, coordinating suit.

Another popular trend today is wearing colored pants with a different colored blazer, like this look from Pinterest (also note the shoes without socks). While it may seem like a perfectly acceptable outfit, it’s a little too much if you’re applying to be work at a more prestigious business or firm. Stick with neutral-colored, coordinating suiting in black, khaki, or grey for the most professional look.

DON’T wear pants that are too tight-fitting.

This is a big problem today. Men’s pants keep getting tighter and tighter. It’s hard to avoid! However, it’s important that you keep your pants from looking like a pair of skinny jeans. Slim fit suits are okay, but looser-fitting is best. 

DO express yourself through your shirt and tie (keeping your industry in mind).

Your shirt and tie are the perfect opportunity to express your personal style. If you keep your suiting neutral, it’s okay to play with color or pattern a little bit. However, keep your industry in mind. I wouldn’t recommend wearing a bright blue shirt with a pineapple print tie if you’re looking to work as account or in a hospital.

Two outfits that work and why:

Barrett (left) looks professional in a dark grey suit, button down shirt, and tie. The striped tie shows the perfect amount of personality. Chris (right) also looks great, getting a bit more creative with his patterned shirt and red tie, but still looking appropriate.

Want more examples of how to dress for success? Check out this video for women and this one for men on CandidCareer.com! 

Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.