Piece by Piece: What is Autism?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s April 2 which means it is World Autism Awareness Day! This day is also connected with Light It Up Blue, which is an initiative originated by the organization Autism Speaks. On World Autism Awareness Day, we are invited to “light it up blue” by wearing blue to show support for autistic individuals, their families, services, and research. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is something extremely prevalent in our world today, and yet many people remain in the dark about this psychopathology.

It has previously been estimated that 1 in 68 children (ages 3-17) have ASD, however this past November a new government survey estimated that, actually, 1 in 45 children have ASD. This number did not take many psychologists by surprise. It is widely accepted and thought to be a more accurate estimation. This does not necessarily mean that more individuals have autism today than 10 years ago; it could very well indicate that awareness has grown and more children are getting their official diagnosis.

What if more children do have ASD? What causes it? The thing is, we don’t exactly know. We have theories, and we have understanding as to what goes on neurologically, but it is very difficult to pinpoint concrete causes. Autism is heterogeneous, so every case looks different which makes it difficult to isolate specific variables to associate with the disorder. It is classified as a neurobiological disorder, and it is known that differentiating levels of neurotransmitters are involved. However, what those exact differences are aren’t clear. Some individuals with ASD have an increased level of serotonin, dopamine, or norepinephrine, while others may have decreased levels. We also know that it is not vaccines. That hypothesis has been disproven.

Those with ASD struggle with motor skills as well as intellectual abilities. This does not mean they are stupid. This means that they live in the world differently than neuro-typical individuals do, and they see the world differently. They live in a world that is not catered towards them, with a set of expectations and ideals they cannot conform to. We, as a society, expect them to behave as if they do not have Autism. This is impossible for them to do, and wrong of us to ask because that, in turn, would be denying a large part of who these individuals are.

How do we fix this? How do we help create a better world for individuals with ASD? We can begin by becoming educated about what Autism is, so we feel more comfortable around those who are autistic. So often do these individuals become alienated because they are the minority in a group, often a classroom, and the majority of the group is unsure how to interact with them or what to do. The answer is simple: treat them as a human. Do not take away their dignity. Treat them as you would another peer, with the awareness of the disorder in mind so you can better understand them as a person. Awareness is the next step. Awareness is crucial because it will inspire education, which will inspire more understanding, which will result in a more harmonious society.

Today, on April 2, let’s Light It Up Blue to show our support and raise awareness. However, don’t stop after today. Stay supportive and educated. ASD is complex, but out love for those who have it should not be. We can continue to take steps towards a more accepting society, and research. Piece by piece we can put the puzzle together. 

Elisabeth (Liz) Staal is a student at Emmanuel College in Boston, MA, majoring in English, Communications and minoring in Music-Theatre and Psychology. She relates to Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Knope, and is a pun enthusiast. She has a passion for service, and producing a positive influence on the world to create change. You can follow her on Twitter @estaal15
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.