This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Dear Anxiety,

You have been with me through thick and thin. Always by my side since day one. You hover close by on my good days and wrap me in your presence on bad days. I understand that you are trying to help me cope with the craziness of this world but I’m starting to feel smothered. I don’t need this constant attention and interference in my life. So from this day on you are no longer going to control my life.

I am taking three steps forward after a lifetime of taking one step back. I am finally going to get help because I know that leaving you behind will be hard. But I have my friends and my family to help me through this. You will no longer get a say in my future, nor will you keep me confined to my past. I am moving on without you and you will just have to deal with it.

You are not good for me. While you might have done a good job of keeping me safe in the past, you are only hurting me now. You keep me from pursuing the things I want, from talking to the people that I want to talk to, and from trying new things. Listen Anxiety, I am in college and I am trying to follow my dreams. I will not stand for your toxic self-doubt and crippling indecision anymore. This is my time to be confident and in control. For the first time in my life, I want to take the reins and run the show.

Life is for living. Not for anxiety. I am taking a stand and cutting you out of my life. I know it won’t be easy but it’s the right decision for me. We might’ve had a good run while it lasted but I don’t think we have a future together. We really are just too different to make this work. So Anxiety, remember, It’s not me, it’s you.

Goodbye for good.

P.S. I don’t think we should try to be friends. It might be better if you lost my number all together.

Recent grad who majored in psychology and minored in English literature at Emmanuel College in Boston. Desk Assistant for Residence Life, part time writer, and fully acclimated transfer student at EC. Cat video enthusiast. Special skills include: being boss at Cards Against Humanity, knowing way too much Harry Potter trivia and becoming emotionally attached to fictional characters. Loving life and hoping to one day make a difference.
Her Campus Emmanuel