Nine People You’ll Encounter on the MBTA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The T is a way of life. From riding the green line to your internship, to trekking to Boston Common, everyone encounters characters during their commute.  The people you meet might not always be delightful… and some of them may be too delightful. Nevertheless, you have to ride with them. Without further ado, here are the MBTA’s Notorious Nine. See if you find yourself amongst them…

1. The Spreader: Oh, I didn’t want to sit down. It’s fine. You should definitely take up five seats.

2. The Bubble Burster: Despite the extra room on the train, these people like to literally stand on top of you. Literally.

3. The Barricader. The person that blocks you from entering the door… *Sings* Why you gotta be so rude?

4. The Couple. Technically, there are two of them, but neither one would know what to do without the other. (Bonus points for PDA)

5. The Tourist. Ooh, look at all the pretty colors!! What do they mean this is the end of the line?!

6. The Social Butterfly. So, you’re going to the courthouse to sign your divorce papers, and then you’re getting dinner with your new boyfriend who is meeting your kids for the first time tonight? Great, it was really nice to meet you, see you never.

7. Tipsy-Turvy. It’s after 9 o’clock on a Friday or Saturday, you know what that means… Drunk in love!

8. The Freefaller. They apologize at least ten times for falling or tripping on an innocent victim. (This one is me…)

9. The Shader. The one who throws shade at everyone else and is definitely judging your outfit.

Whoever you may encounter, I wish you happy trails!

Betsy Roy

Emmanuel

Betsy is a senior at Emmanuel College studying secondary education and history, and is the chapter's Social Media Director. Believing she'll pen the next Great American Novel, Betsy enjoys: art museums, long walks on the beach, and napping in front of fireplaces.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.