Croissant
Croissant
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
Life > Experiences

My Top Five Favorite Dinner Spots in the Fenway Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Going to school in the Fenway area means there are, like, seven zillion restaurants to choose from when the dining hall simply isn’t suiting your fancy. But how can one possibly choose? Have no fear, my friends; Sarah is here to give you her recommendations. So here are my recommendations in no particular order. Except for El Pelón. El Pelón is first in my heart. 

1. El Pelón – 92 Peterborough St

El Pelón is the best place ever. The food is amazing: from quesadillas to burritos to fried plantains, everything they serve is fresh and delicious. A huge plus is that it is always super fast, and super cheap. It’s truly the best of both worlds, and with an added side of chips and guac—I’d choose this place over Chipotle any day. 

My go to: Carnitas Quesadilla with a side of chips and guac. 

2. Honeygrow – 1282 Boylston St

Honeygrow is a build-your-own stir fry place that is super tasty! The portions are pretty big, so if you like leftovers it’s a great place to get tomorrow’s lunch as well! If you’re like me and you don’t ever have room in your mini fridge for leftovers, then the kid’s size is a great option. I love the fact that I can change up what I want depending on what I’m in the mood for (but I’ll almost always go with the same thing anyway). You can also get a cute little fruit and yogurt dessert, which I 100% recommend, but maybe store it in the fridge while you eat the noodles, because it can get a little soggy. 

My go to: Kid’s size build your own with egg white noodles, tofu, mushrooms, and broccoli, and the Brownie Crumble dessert.

3. CAVA – 1346 Boylston St

CAVA, like Honeygrow, lets you pick the ingredients, but with a Mediterranean grain bowl vibe instead. With a variety of grains, tons of vegetable choices, delicious proteins, and tasty dressings, CAVA bowls are surprisingly filling, flavorful, and make sure you actually eat a vegetable for once. They also have lemonade. That just makes me smile. 

My go to: Half and half bowl with brown rice, spinach, hummus, roasted eggplant dip, falafel, pita crisps, and whatever other toppings I’m vibing with on a given day (with lemon tahini dressing). And lemonade :)

4. TimeOut Market – 401 Park Dr

The first time you go to TimeOut Market, you will be overwhelmed. You should do a lap around the entire food court style building before you commit to anything. But do not, in your overwhelm, leave the establishment out of pure fear. This place is worth it. From Mexican food to fried chicken sandwiches to pizza, this place has just about every type of food you could want. Is it a little pricey? Yeah. Is the food, like, really good though? Yeah! Do they have a bar and great music and something for everyone? Hell yeah!

My go to: A Cubano sandwich from BISq and a Caramel Sea Salt Whiskey donut from Union Square Donuts

5. Tasty Burger – 1301 Boylston St

Tasty Burger is a classic in the area. How can you go wrong when you go with burgers, milkshakes, and some bomb tater tots? You can’t. I’ve even heard from some Local Vegans that their Veggie Burger is great! If you’re over 21, the “Starvin’ Student” deal is awesome, and if you’re too young to drink, a Raspberry Lime Rickey always soothes the soul. This joint is also pretty cheap and open until TWO IN THE MORNING every day! This is one of my favorite places to go with friends when we’re strapped for cash but still want vibes, and it’s one of the only places to go after, like, ten o’clock. Long Live Tasty. 

My go to: The Patty Melt, tater tots, and a Raspberry Lime Rickey, of course! (and a small chocolate milkshake for the walk back, because I feel like you have to get a milkshake when you go to Tasty)

Is this a comprehensive list of everywhere in the Fenway area you could get dinner? No way! But when it’s a Friday night, the dining hall is serving fish, and spending Real Bank Account money becomes a viable option, these are my favorite places to grab a bite. 

Sarah Revis

Emmanuel '23

Sarah is a senior English Communications major at Emmanuel College. She enjoys reading, embroidery, baking, and listening to an unreasonable amount of folk rock.