free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mentorship: the Who, What, When, & Where!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As soon as you set your sights on starting a professional career, you constantly hear about the importance of having a mentor. But who exactly should you be looking for? And how can you make the most of of a mentoring relationship? Check out the following tips to get you headed in the right direction!

1. Choose someone because of their knowledge and experience. A mentor should be someone you respect and hope to learn from. Seek out someone whose experience speaks to where you are in your career.

2. Know how to utilize your relationship. Establish what works best for both of you – whether that be weekly meetings or occasional check-ins. You can come up with a formal plan or keep things more casual. Regardless of what you decide, be willing to ask for what you want and need from your mentor.

Image courtesy of theselfemployed.com

1. Establish a relationship based on openness and trust. Be truthful about who you are and what you’re looking for out of the relationship. Share your strengths and weaknesses, and be open to your mentor’s advice.

2. You can have more than one mentor and they don’t have to be in your field. At different times in your professional life, you may need a different perspective. Find those who are slightly different from you in order to bring in new outlooks and possibilities.

3. Don’t let location hold you back. With today’s technology, you can find and communicate with mentors from across the globe online. Take advantage of Skype, Facetime, and instant messaging to stay in touch.

Interested in starting your search for the perfect mentor?

On Wednesday, March 29, The Mentorship Experience will bring together a precise balance of ambitious Boston students, along with mentors, hiring managers, and engaged employees from the 33 companies that have been deemed most interesting to work for upon graduation. This social experience aims to improve the way mentor relationships are formed and job candidates are identified. By creating a space where candid dialogues can exist and authentic personalities can shine, critical pairings between students and experienced professionals will be made. The event hosts believe, “Mentorship is not about selecting someone smarter than you; it’s about finding someone you can respect and trust.” More details can be found below!

What: The Mentorship Experience
Who: MassChallenge, in partnership with Yotme & The Good Ones
Where: 21 Drydock Ave, Boston, MA 02210
When: Wednesday, March 29 from 5-7pm
RSVP: Through the Yotme app. Search “The Mentorship Experience,” request an invite, and write “Referred through Emmanuel College” in the note. [Must be approved on Yotme Guest list to attend.]
Refreshments: Beverages & healthy snacks will be provided.
Cost: No Cost to Attend.
Dress Code: Dress for the corporate culture that most suits you – Business Casual, Athletic, Suited Up, Etc.

May you find someone who leads you in the right direction!

Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.