Meet This Week’s Campus Cutie: Alexa Albanese (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Chances are, you’ve seen this cutie covered in fur. As a dedicated worker for OSAMP since her first year at Emmanuel, senior Alexa Albanese has been everyone’s favorite mascot, Halo, on numerous occasions. Now, after just finishing an improv internship, she’s ready to take the comedy world by storm. Keep reading to find out more about the incomparable comedian herself!

Hometown: North Providence, RI

Major: Double major in English: Writing & Literature and Theater Arts

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Relationship Status: In a relationship

HCE: Hi Alexa! Can you tell us a little bit about your involvement on- and off-campus?

AA: Yeah, I’ve worked for the Office of Student Activities since my freshman year. And aside from rehearsals for various performances that go on on-campus, I just recently wrapped up my internship with ImprovBoston. In the coming semester, I hope to still maintain a relationship with them, [as] I’m prepping for their [cast member] auditions in June. So that’s really exciting!

HCE: That ireally exciting! So you enjoy doing improv comedy?

AA: Oh yeah, it’s what I’ve wanted to do forever. I have always wanted to be a comedian of some sort, and now being able to be affiliated with ImprovBoston has allowed me to experience not only the instructional side– because I used to teach improv to kids– but I get to be familiar with sketch writing, improvisation the way they do it, and stand up. So I’m getting to know a lot of new avenues that I can hopefully go down in the future.

HCE: Very cool! Going back to OSAMP, can you tell us a little bit more about that experience?

AA: Sure! Like I said, I’ve worked with OSAMP since I was a freshman. I orginally worked for Dan [Darcy], but now I’m the Senior Involvement Assistant under Amma [Marfo]’s supervision. We just finished up the Christmas Extravanganza, which was really fun and really successful. I got to make mugs [laughs]. Really though, OSAMP has been one of the most rewarding opportunities I’ve gotten to do on campus. I’ve gotten to do some of the most ridiculous stuff. I’ve gotten to do voiceover work, which I hope to pursue in the future. I’ve gotten to be Halo, which is really fun, especially when I go up to people that don’t know that I’m him when I know them… Watch out folks! [laughs]. But honestly, Amma loves comedy, I love comedy. Between OSAMP and ImprovBoston, I’ve just had the best opportunities this year.

Alexa as Halo, pictured here with Assistant Director of Student Activities Amma Marfo

HCE: That’s great! Being a double major can be a tough balance. What’s been the key to making that happen?

AA: It’s really been the professors, especially having either Scott [Gagnon] or Jenna [Lourenco] for my two go-to performing arts teachers. You kind of get to know their curriculum and you know that they’re always there to help you and watch you grow. Mixed with that, I have so many different perspectives of writing and English professors that I get a new, fresh face to read my work [each time]. So I’ve been able to take classes like Playwriting and Shakespeare that allow me to put together the two things I want to do most. The curriculum has been astounding with doing that. You’d think it would be a ton of work, but it’s actually just doing what I love all the time.

HCE: That must help you around finals time, having that balance going?

AA: Oh, I didn’t say that… [laughs]. No, this is the hardest finals week thus far, but that was expected, being a senior.

HCE: I’m sure you want to be done with finals as quickly as possible then…

AA: Oh, everybody does, absolutely.

HCE: So what are you looking forward to when you go home for winter break? Any special traditions you’re excited for during the holiday season?

AA: It will be good to sleep! [laughs] But, Christmas Eve has always been my nana’s biggest event. A lot of my dad’s side of the family goes there, and then I go see my mom’s family for Christmas Day. So I get the whole Italian clan together within 24 hours [laughs].

Alexa (front, center) performing an impromptu “Cell Block Tango” with members of the Performing Arts Dept.

HCE: Wow, that must be fun! Now for a lightning round: Favorite color?

AA: Red.

HCE: Favorite food?

AA: Italian.

HCE: Favorite movie?

AA: I’m going to go with favorite holiday movie because of the time period… Claymation Rudolph, The Year Without a Santa Claus, and National Lampoon. That’s right, I’m giving you three options [laughs]. And I’m sorry Elf… You were so close!

HCE: Favorite holiday treat?

AA: For this, I will quote Buddy the Elf: sugar and syrup [laughs].  

HCE: Perfect! To wrap this up, what is a piece of advice that you want to give to anyone reading that you’ve learned in your four years at Emmanuel?

AA: The best advice I can give is time flies so fast, and no matter what your major is, or your involvement on- and off- campus, make sure you love every second of it. Because [when] I tell people that I’m going to be a comedian, they give me that polite smile, but as long as [I’m] happy with it, that’s all that matters. Appreciate all the moments you have in college because semesters go by way too fast.

Thanks for sitting down with us Alexa! Good luck with all of your finals!

Christina Listro is a Junior at Emmanuel College majoring in Theatre Arts and Liberal Studies as well as getting her certificate in Italian.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.