Keeping the Earth Ever-green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I constantly feel as though the discussion on climate change is always the “elephant in the room”. No one ever wants to talk about the inevitability of our extinction, or the downward spiral we’re all travelling in. So, I’m going to.

I believe that the current ecological crisis stems from the over abuse of the world’s natural resources for economic and political gain. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in our world of excessive materialism- but it has started to selfishly tinge the earth. On the surface level, the current ecological crisis will cause deforestation, increase extinction rates, and deplete our natural resources. However, it is imperative that the human race acknowledges that these “lesser” problems will also act as a catalyst to complete turmoil and devastation. We need to view the crisis as more than just the usurping of fossil fuels, or the continued high pollution levels caused by factories. In reality, our world is in danger of becoming unsustainable for life. It boggles my mind that politicians around the world are not providing this topic with the attention it needs. Although President Obama has taken initiatives to cut the toxins released into the air over a period of time, is it enough? Paris’ COP21 summit was a great start to ending the abuse of our surroundings, but is it too little, too late? All world leaders must join forces to combat the deterioration of the environment. Even though the work of one nation might be beneficial, it will not be enough.

Image courtesy of Wikipedia

On a local level, I see ignorance take its toll. Because of a lack of quality information provided to all citizens, some are blissfully unaware of the current state of our environment. With deteriorating ozone layers, and the wrath of climate change starting to manifest, all members of society should be educated about the ecological crisis. From creating informational town meetings to holding large discussions on college campuses, everyone should be made aware of the state of our earth because it directly influences them. Although I might not feel the ultimate consequence of global warming during my lifetime, my children and grandchildren will most certainly feel the universal aftermath. Therefore, I personally feel influenced by the destruction of our surroundings, and I am frightened by the idea that polar bears will become an animal that my grandchildren will read about in history books, and never have the chance to encounter.

Image Courtesy of  The Telegraph

I believe that more conferences like COP21 need to exist in order to create a more significant vehicle of change. Coupled with large summits, it is also crucial to enact the change discussed in these forums. These summits garner a significant amount of press that revolves around the politics of the event by shedding light on the subject of climate change. Instead of discussing relations between countries’ leaders, and using political affiliations as a justification for ignoring the topic, people should truly acknowledge the state of our environment. Moreover, taking definitive action on the ecological crisis will aid in the influencing of more respect and better treatment of the earth.

We are currently in a very crucial stage of this catastrophe where if we do not act now, the earth’s complete degradation is inevitable. I hope to see the complete turnaround of our environmental state in my lifetime, and encourage the participation of everyone. From simply recycling to protesting for change, the entire population can work to reverse the state of our planet, and make the earth a healthier place.

Save the Polar Bears,

HCXO

Betsy Roy

Emmanuel

Betsy is a senior at Emmanuel College studying secondary education and history, and is the chapter's Social Media Director. Believing she'll pen the next Great American Novel, Betsy enjoys: art museums, long walks on the beach, and napping in front of fireplaces.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.