An Interview with EC Alum, Lauren Mullet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Emmanuel alum, Lauren Mullet, is one of the sweetest, most positive people to ever have roamed the quad. Many of you will remember her as your Orienation Leader, as an actress in several EC Performing Arts Department productions, or as one of your best friends. She stopped by for a visit this Valentine’s weekend and, of course, I snagged her for a quick interview. Keep reading to see what Lauren’s been up to since she graduated EC! 

Lauren as Lucy Ricardo from I Love Lucy for Halloween at Disney

Quickfire favorites-

Color: blue

Disney character: Donald duck

Movie: The Departed

Song at the moment: “The Judge” by 21 Pilots

Place to get coffee in Boston: Specifically, the Pavement on Newbury Street

Vacation: Vermont– Ben and Jerry’s, obvy!)

HC Emmanuel: Hi Lauren!

Lauren Mullet: Hi Sammy!

HCE: How’s life been since you graduated Emmanuel?

LM: Life has literally been a whirlwind. In the time since 2015 started, I’ve lived in three different states, I’ve graduated college and gotten to work at Disney world, and now I’m back in Maine. It’s nice but weird to be back in Boston. I’m used to coming back to school each semester and being in the same community with the same friends. Now I’m living back at home for the first time since high school.

HCE: Well, we’re glad that you come to visit us! Tell me a little bit more about your time at Disney.

LM: I’d love to! My [Disney] College Program experience was a little different than those that I worked with because I was in Special Events. Previously Special Events had not been a part of the College Program. Usually college kids come in and they do Merchandise, Attractions, or Food Service. It was really a pleasure to get to do something so unique, and the team I worked with was really wonderful. Unlike other departments, there were only eight other people that were my age, and our schedule was never consistent. While attractions run pretty consistently, events don’t; they change, much like they do on campus. I also got to live in my first apartment with five other people, as well as live in easily the hottest state I’ve ever lived in. It was the farthest I’ve ever been from New England or from home in general. It was quite an adjustment, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

HCE: That sounds wonderful! So now that you’re back, what are you up to?

LM: I actually just started a new full-time job in Portland, ME. I work at a publishing company called True Line Publishing, and they are three magazines under the umbrella. I specifically work in the construction sector, under US Builders Review. I know next to nothing about construction, but I get to spend my days talking to people, and interviewing people, and learning about their businesses, which is really exciting. I’ve also recently started volunteering at a local theater!

HCE: Sounds great! What is it like to come back to campus? Does it bring back old memories?

LM: Absolutely! As cliché as it is to say, it’s absolutely like coming home. Many of my close friends actually inhabit the room that I had last year, so it’s literally coming home. It’s nice to be back because we’re such a family in the theater department, and I love getting to see my other friends and former professors as well. It’s very bittersweet though because I know it’s not permanent and that I’ll have to go home. I think every college grad experiences this, and it’s just about coming to terms with the fact that everything in life goes on.

HCE: Aww, we still consider you family Lauren! Where do you see yourself five years from now?

LM: Ideally, either Boston or NYC. I truly love Maine and the opportunity to be back home for now. But I know that I want to get out and see more than I already have. Ultimately, home is where the heart is. My heart has many homes and I’m okay with adding more.

HCE: That’s so cute! Finally, any words of wisdom or advice for graduating seniors?

LM: Be comfortable with being uncomfortable. That was something that was tossed around a lot when I was an Orientation Leader, and there really is no better time to let yourself do that than when you graduate. Be willing to expand and experience new things, even if it’s outside of your comfort zone. You never know where new passions can come from or the people you’ll meet! Also, don’t forget to take care of yourself and love yourself. It can be really easy to get lost in job applications, grad school applications, and job interviews. But at the end of the day, you are your first priority, and you deserve the love and attention that you show everything else in your life.

We’re so proud of all you’ve accomplished Lauren! Keep spreading the love! :)

Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.