free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Inspiring Interview with Alissa Lynch: Boston Marathon Finisher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

You may know Alissa Lynch from Residence Life, but did you know she recently ran the Boston Marathon? Impressive, we know. As an influencer on campus, Alissa definitely has her  say in the EC community and works to help students thrive. She happily agreed to do this interview to share some insight about her marathon experience. Read on to learn more about the challenges she faced and how she overcame them with a positive and determined mindset.

Her Campus Emmanuel: First off, thank you for taking the time to talk with us! For those who may not know, tell us what your role is here at Emmanuel College. How long have you worked here?

Alissa Lynch: Thank you so much for interviewing me! This is so exciting! I am the Assistant Director of Residence Life and Housing and Resident Director of Peabody Hall and Trilogy. I’ve been here at Emmanuel for almost four and a half years now.  

HCE: I think it’s safe to say you’ve had a positive impact on a lot of students here, too. In what ways do you feel like this community supports you in the same way you support others?

AL: The Emmanuel community has been nothing but supportive of me since my very first day here. I think a great example is how many alumni, students, and staff came out to cheer me on at the marathon. Every time I saw someone else from my Emmanuel family I would stop, take pictures and cry a little. So many people sent me emails, texts, and messages wishing me luck and congratulating me. I’ve never felt so loved in my life. But it’s also not just the big things that people support me with. It’s the everyday small stuff. Someone stopping in my office just to say hi or when a student asks me (of all people) to be a reference for them. All those little things make me feel a part of this amazing place.

HCE: Surely you needed all the support you could get when you decided to run the Boston Marathon. What encouraged you to partake in this timeless and challenging event?

AL: This was the biggest physical and mental challenge I have ever set out for myself. Over the past four years, I’ve made a lot of changes in my life in terms of my health. I have always been a person who likes to work towards a goal and I use that same mindset when it comes to finding new physical challenges. Last year, 2016, I went to the marathon and just felt the emotion and excitement all around. I knew then and there that I wanted to run it and that I had to do it. I’ve done a few half marathons, but never a full [one]. And I figured: what better marathon to do as my first than Boston!

HCE: The atmosphere at the marathon is truly like nothing else. You ran for Boston Children’s Hospital, which is near and dear to Emmanuel students (especially if they’re FTK). Did knowing you were supporting such a great organization help to inspire or encourage you in any way?

AL: I knew that if I was going to run for a charity it had to be Boston Children’s Hospital. Not only have I been able to see [the impact] first-hand through our own Dance Marathon and the efforts Emmanuel students give to the program, but I also was a patient of a different Children’s Hospital from ages 13 to 18 when I was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I saw just how the amazing doctors, nurses, and staff helped my family and me. Those first few years were really hard for me to adjust and Children’s was there for me every step of the way. This was my opportunity to give back to a place that did so much for me.  

Boston Children’s Hospital Team

HCE: It means even more when it hits home, for sure. You no doubt had to go through intense training to get yourself ready for the big day. In what ways did you prepare both mentally and physically for the months leading up to it?

AL: This was the most amount of time I have ever prepared for something like this. And since this was my first full marathon, I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. Training started in December and there was no way I could have ever done this on my own. I had a great support team helping me along the way: The Children’s Team, the coaches from Children, my awesome family, my best friends, my morning workout crew, my physical therapist, and of course so many students all pushing me along the way. I had a schedule of workouts I followed, and I really used my resources, too. My cousin had run three marathons before this and I have other friends who have ran marathons, too. I asked everyone for advice. And I tried to put myself in a positive mindset and never tell myself that I couldn’t do it. I went into it saying anything is possible.  

HCE: We are all about a positive mindset! As you were running, how did you motivate yourself to keep going? Did running alongside so many determined people like yourself help to keep you going, too?

AL: The first half I did a great job at just pushing myself forward and putting one foot in front of the other. I was able to find my cousin Christina, who was also running the marathon, in a sea of thousands and run the first couple miles with her. But then by mile 15, I started to really struggle. This was when my awesome support network really kicked in. I saw Alexis Mastronardi at mile 16 and she and her daughter gave me a pep talk and jumped in to run a little with me. I saw my wonderful co-worker and friend Molly Zuccarini (who was running too and I could never have done this without her), Alyson Czelusniak and her husband Scott who had the best signs out there on the course, Tara D’Errico with her husband and her girls Ruby and Lilah (the very best cheerleaders I might add), Matt Bearnes, my incredible RA staff, student after student, alumni, my Uncle Ted, my best friends Kelli, Ellen, and Kevin, and of course all of my immediate family. Knowing that I was going to see all of these people on the course helped me keep going.  I just kept thinking, ‘you have to make it to the next person who came all the way out here to see you. You can’t quit before you see them’.

HCE: It just goes to show how loved you are to have all of these people supporting you. What did it feel like to cross the finish line?

AL:  The finish was so emotional! I literally cried from miles 22 to the finish. I have a lot of things in my life to be proud of, but this was by far the most proud of myself I have ever been. My mom, our very close family friend Kathy, my brother Sean and sister-in-law Ashley were right at the very very end – as close as you could get to the finish. When I saw them, I cried so hard watching them cheer me on. Knowing that I just did something I never thought I would ever do and having everyone I care about right there with me…there aren’t enough words to describe that feeling.  

HCE: Just hearing that gives us goosebumps, that’s wonderful Alissa. Of course, we just have to ask, what was your go-to meal after the marathon?

AL: We went to Wahlburgers after and I had a double cheeseburger, tater tots, and 2 vanilla milkshakes *laughs.*

HCE: Definitely well deserved! Moving forward, what would you say is one of the greatest takeaways for you after completing the Boston Marathon? Any advice for those who may be thinking about attempting to run it in the future?

AL: My biggest takeaway from all of this is that  you can really do anything that you set your mind to. With the right positive attitude, and a strong group of positive supporters around you, you really can do anything. Four years ago, almost to the day, I went out and tried to run my first mile without stopping. I thought that was the hardest thing at the time, and look at me now.

My advice to anyone who thinks about starting to run their first mile, their first 5k, their first half marathon, and even a full marathon – just do it! Sign up and do it! Don’t second guess yourself.  We are our own harshest critics. Sometimes we have to tell ourselves to be quiet and just go for it. If I can do this, a girl who in high school never once ran the mile run without stopping, then you can do this too! Be brave, be positive, and be determined. Set a goal and make a plan. You really can do anything!

Thank you thank you for these encouraging words. Being able to hear your thoughts and emotions surrounding this experience actually brought tears to my eyes. You work yourself tirelessly every single day and you have come so far since I first got to know you my freshman year. You are truly an inspiration and I am so glad you had endless support for this marathon. Congratulations Alissa, I can’t wait to see what else you take on in the future. Cheers!

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.