absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holiday’s Coming Up Fast? Here are a Few Quick Desserts to Choose From!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Thanksgiving just passed, and soon it will be the holidays. Whether it’s for a family party, a friends-giving, or a work holiday party, desserts are a required staple for all parties! Since it’s for the holidays, it’s always a bit chaotic and all of a sudden it’s the day before and you have nothing to bring. These are a few recipes that are easy to make and will be a highlight to any party!

Holiday Bars 

This first recipe is one of my own invention. I call it the Holiday Bar. Peppermint is my favorite flavor for the holidays and chocolate chip cookies goes well with anything during the holidays!

Ingredients

Any kind of Chocolate Chip Cookie dough (I like to use Toll Cookie dough)

Melting chocolate (I use dark chocolate but you could use milk or white chocolate)

Peppermint hard candies, crushed

Directions

First, take a rectangle pan and grease the bottom and sides of the pan. Then take the cookie dough and pack it on the bottom of the pan so it covers the bottom of the pan. Bake for however long on directions. When done, let cool.

While cookie base is baking or cooling, take the chocolate and melt it on the stove top, stirring periodically. When the chocolate is mostly melted, take the crushed peppermint candy and stir it in slowly. 

Once the peppermint is well incorporated, take the mixture and pour it onto the cookie base. Spred the chocolate around so it is evenly contributed on top. Let cool until the chocolate hardens.

Cut into squares and enjoy! 

Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites (Author Lindsay Funston from delish.com)

This next dessert will work for any holiday from Thanksgiving to New Years! I love red velvet anything, whether it’s cake and cupcakes or as a cheesecake. Here is a simple recipe that will be gone in seconds after serving.

Ingredients

One packet of cream cheese

4 tbsp. to ½ cup of sugar, depending on how sweet you want them

1 cup of heavy cream

¼ tsp vanilla

Red Velvet cake, made from a box or store bought doesn’t matter

Directions

Leave the cream cheese out to soften. When softened, whisk together the cream cheese and the sugar. Once well incorporated add in the heavy cream and vanilla and whisk. Chill for 2 hours or until firm so you can scoop with a cookie scoop or melon baller.

While mixture is chilling, take the red velvet cake and crumble it up onto a pan. After the mixture is done chilling, scoop out balls and roll them in the red velvet crumbs.

Place on a plate, serve, and enjoy!

If all else fails, cookies are the best dessert to make in an emergency. Peanut Butter cookies are always a crowd pleaser at any holiday party!

Peanut Butter Cookies (Author Lil’ Luna from lilluna.com)

Ingredients

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup peanut butter

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

3 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup sugar in a bowl

Directions

In a mixing bowl, combine sugars, shortening, peanut butter, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Add eggs and milk, mix until creamy. Fold in flour and baking soda.

Roll dough into 1 – 1½ inch balls and roll in a bowl of sugar.

Place on greased cookie sheet and make a criss cross on top using a fork.

Bake at 350 for 8-9 minutes.

Let cool and ENJOY!

I wish everyone good luck as they make their way through holidays going to family parties or work parties. These recipes are sure to be a crowd pleaser and will put a smile on everyone’s face!

I am an art majoring in Graphic Design and minoring in Photography and Art History. I love anything to do with food!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.