His Heart Still Goes On: Leonardo DiCaprio’s Quest for an Oscar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Every profession has so many dedicated people deserving recognition for their work, and the world of performing arts is no exception. In an age where most Hollywood blockbusters are remakes filled with actors playing tropes, the method actor is a beautiful rarity that serves to bring ultimate truth to the roles they take on. Method actors try to completely emulate their character by identifying with them emotionally and making decisions in a way that the character might. As an art, it is simultaneously incredibly rewarding and dangerous. It is more than shedding pounds to portray an emaciated refugee or bulking up at the gym for Marvel’s newest sequel. It is about delving into the part to a point where there is little discrepancy between the actor and character (think Meryl Streep in Sophie’s Choice or Heath Ledger as the Joker).

However, not every method actor receives the recognition that is warranted by filling such emotionally demanding, challenging roles. Leonardo DiCaprio has been snubbed during awards season countless times, an actor that invests his whole person but is still doomed to be remembered mostly for Titanic or Inception. Here are three Leo movies that demonstrate the need for the Academy to commend more than just whitewashed, CGI-filled, thematically shallow pieces.

1. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

Role: Arnie Grape

Why it matters: This coming-of-age film starring DiCaprio and Johnny Depp focuses on small, Midwestern beginnings and the impact our families have on us as we become adults. It is funny, bittersweet, and has some incredibly sad and poignant moments. DiCaprio is not at all objectified in this film as a male romantic lead and instead takes a huge step in enhancing the performativity of autism spectrum disorders and social handicaps. It also begs the question as to how Hollywood can incorporate more actors with handicaps into roles that feature them seriously and more prominently.

2. Django Unchained (2012)

Role: Calvin Candie

Why it matters: In this Tarantino film reminiscent of old spaghetti westerns, DiCaprio portrays a less-than-likable plantation owner with a knack for organizing deadly Mandingo fights between his slaves and violently antagonizing Django’s wife, Broomhilda. His character’s carefree, enamored attitude toward what would today be human trafficking is not the only thing that challenged him as a method actor. While shooting one scene, he smashed a glass on set and the footage of him struggling through the pain and blood ultimately made it to the final cut of the film.

3. The Revenant (2015)

Role: Hugh Glass

Why it matters: A piece that examines the many elemental and interpersonal challenges of being a fur trapper on the American frontier, Leonardo DiCaprio must feign being uncivilized in order to make his role truly effective, and it shows. The character of Hugh Glass takes on a bear in a scene that is all too similar to the sea bear in that one episode of SpongeBob, and that’s just within the first half hour of the film. The rest of the film follows this intense mood and is incredibly harrowing to watch; I found myself cheering for Leo by the end. In terms of DiCaprio’s own struggle with the role, just wait until he hungrily partakes in a delicious meal of real bison liver, forced to betray his vegan lifestyle.

With all his accomplishments in mind, it is odd that DiCaprio has yet to leave the Oscars with a symbolic little statue. However, because he seems to truly love what he does, the award is irrelevant. We should all take a cue from DiCaprio by doing our work regardless of whether we gain recognition for it. Break a leg this year, Leo!

Emily is a senior *gulps* at Emmanuel College with a great passion for psychology, writing, and theatre. She loves animals, movies, museums, and smiling. Bukowski is her favorite poet, and she identifies with Tina Belcher on a very strong spiritual level. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.