Help Her Campus Emmanuel and EC Ed Club Support Let Girls Learn!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

At Emmanuel, education has always been a top priority. Our faculty and staff dedicate their lives to creating positive learning environments for all students in the Emmanuel community. Not everyone is so lucky. Globally, 62 million girls are not in school. It’s simply heartbreaking that so many young women aren’t receiving the education they deserve. However, we have both the opportunity and the means to help.

As a part of the U.S. government’s commitment to the Let Girls Learn Initiative, the Peace Corps is working to expand access to education and empowerment for girls around the world by supporting community-led solutions. They feel that educating girls is essential to healthy and thriving communities. The Peace Corps supports Let Girls Learn through three pillars:

1. Empowering leaders to become champions of girls’ education.
  2. Working hand in hand with communities to create solutions, such as starting school libraries and organizing technology camps for girls.
  3. Increasing the impact of the Peace Corps Volunteers by working to break down barriers to girls’ education in the communities they serve.

Their efforts have definitely been working. In the last year, 82,000 girls and young women around the world participated in leadership campus and youth clubs led by Peace Corps Volunteers. Also in the last year, more than 2,000 Peace Corps Volunteers led girls’ education and empowerment activities in over 60 countries. That’s pretty impressive!

But, there is still progress to be made. That’s why Her Campus Emmanuel and EC Ed Club are teaming up this week to support this amazing initiative. We’re taking to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the JYC to help rally support for Let Girls Learn. Over the next week, we’ll be sending out a call to action for donations. Each and every one of us at Emmanuel has been blessed with the opportunity to receive a quality education. It’s our turn to help those who aren’t as fortunate.

How can you help? There are several options:

• Stop by our table in the JYC! We’ll be in the Jean Yawkey Center on Monday, September 21st; Wednesday, September 23rd; and Friday, September 25th from 4:30-5:30pm, taking fun pictures for social media and accepting donations. Stop by and support the cause.
  • Follow Her Campus Emmanuel and EC Ed Club on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Help us spread the word about Let Girls Learn by liking, commenting on, and sharing as many posts as you can! The more people who know about this initiative, the bigger impact we can make. Also, be sure to use #LetGirlsLearn to show your support when making any personal posts or tweets.
  • Donate! This is the best way you can help. Your contribution to the Let Girls Learn Fund supports Peace Corps Volunteers working in the field to break down the barriers to girls’ education in the communities they serve. From launching science camps for girls to delivering local teacher trainings, any contribution you can make will help Peace Corps Volunteers working side by side with local leaders on gender-related projects.

You can visit letgirlslearn.peacecorps.gov for more information on this initiative and how to donate. We hope you’ll help Her Campus Emmanuel and EC Ed Club in our efforts to provide young women around the world access to education!

Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.