HCE Reviews: It’s Only A Play directed by Christian Kelly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

In the luxurious upper Manhattan townhouse of Julia Budder, the cast of Terrence Mcnally’s It’s Only A Play anxiously awaits their fictional show’s review from The New York Times. Hercampus.com may not be the Times per say, but, there are several wonderful things I could say about this show, and you’d truly be missing out if you didn’t go see it. The melodramatic comedy, wonderfully directed by Christian Kelly (‘17), is by far the most exciting and colorful student directed piece of the season. But, that isn’t hard to do when you’ve got such an outstanding cast. I quite honestly can not say enough about these talented ladies and gentlemen, but I sure as hell am going to try.

For starters, Jack Constantine (‘17) as the pretentious narcissist (and I mean that in only the most loving of terms) James Wicker , is an absolute joy to watch on stage. Not only is Jack one of the most versatile actors I know, but he’s definitely one of, if not the, comedic highlight of the show.  Wicker is the star of a late-night TV series who turned down the lead role in his best friend’s first-ever Broadway production. He really, truly, is a gem. Nonetheless, Jack plays him with a certain relatable quality that makes James feel like that super successful family member that no one really wants around; It’s fantastic.

Freshman Janette Birtha plays Grace, the sweet and innocent wannabe-actress-gone-coat-girl. Grace is hired to work the premiere party of The Golden Egg, but she really came to New York to pursue a career in acting, singing, dancing, and… something to do with farm equipment? Anyway, I have seen Janette in every production she’s done during her first year here at Emmanuel, and I can honestly say she is one of the most talented young individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working with. So yes, I’m a bit biased toward her. But in all honesty, Janette as Grace is just perfect in every way.

Next on the scene is the sharp-tongued and beautiful actress Virginia Noyes, played by the one and only Eimilie Bowden (‘18). Throughout the show I developed the biggest “girl crush” on the hair-brained and erratic drug addict. Eimilie is absolutely stunning in this part, her comedic timing is perfect, and even if there are times when she might break character, you never really notice because it seems like something Virginia would do! Bravo Ms. Bowden, or as Virginia would say, “bra-effing-vo”!

Photo courtesy of Abby Desrosier

John Nordt (‘18) as the genius director Sir Frank Finger has to be his best role to date. John is an absolute pleasure to watch as the crazy, paranoid, over dramatic, cockney Brit. Frank is one of those characters that you walk away from wanting more. Everything from the accent to the eccentric costume and grungy hair and makeup is absolutely spot on. John’s acting is no exception – just an absolute ball! John in this role is truly unforgettable, but my words could never do his performance justice; You’ll simply have to see the show to find out why.

To say the next character to arrive is a delight, would be an absolute understatement. Julia Budder, the kind-hearted, darling producer of the show, is played by the equally kind-hearted and darling Christina Listro (‘17). Julia is the character that every notable show ought to have. She’s the super lovable, yet super dim-witted producer, who just tries her best. That’s all I can really say about Julia: she tries her best. However, you could give Christina the most obscure set of lines with absolutely no background, and she’d turn dirt into gold. This was perfect casting, and it gave Christina the opportunity to shine brighter than she ever has. (And I loved every second of it.)

Caleb Seaver (‘18)  is fresh on the scene here in the EC Performing Arts Department, but we are SO glad he joined. Caleb as the notorious stage critic Ira Drew is a one-of-a-kind experience. The word that comes to mind for me is “jolly”. Ira is supposed to be this seriously terrifying critic that everyone dreads, but Caleb brings a certain warmth to Ira that makes you just want more of him. It’s absolutely wonderful!

And last, but certainly not least, Cameron Sullivan (‘17) as adorably awkward playwright Peter Austin is something you must see. This is Cam’s element. Not only is this role perfectly tailored to Cam’s strengths, but it highlights everything that those who know him personally love about him. Peter is sweet, lovable and kind, but he can also be stubborn, emotional and a little bit whiny at times… but I love it! Cam brings his own wonderful personality to this character, and I wouldn’t want to have it any other way.

Overall, to say I enjoyed the experience of watching It’s Only A Play would be an understatement. This show is a work of art, and I loved every single thing about it. The set design, the lighting, the bizarre sound effects, and of course, the lovely faces on stage all meshed together to create a truly beautiful piece.

If you’re interested in seeing It’s Only A Play yourself, hurry up and get your tickets for Friday February 17 at 8pm, and Saturday February 18 at 2pm before they sell out! This is one hot tamale ladies and gents, and you don’t want to miss it! Enjoy the show!

Photo courtesy of Miranda McLean

Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime! 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.