This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As the end of the semester is quickly arriving, and students are preparing for finals, it is essential to remind ourselves to make time for self-care. This is a very stressful time of the year and taking some time for yourself can help ease those pre-exam jitters. I have listed some of my favorite skin care products that are quick to use, benefit your skin, and calm the nerves. Please take into consideration that these items have worked for my skin and might not work for everyone’s unique skin type!

The first product I have recently added to my facial care regimen is using a facial roller. Facials rollers are often made out of jade or rose quartz. I purchased my rose quartz roller at Sephora for an affordable price. Facial rollers are known for reducing puffiness and tightening pores. After washing my face and applying moisturizer, I will use the roller to rub in the moisturizer, leaving my face cooled and relaxed. A tip for using a facial roller is, although it is naturally cool to the touch, I like to place it in the fridge after each use. In the morning and night (or whenever since it’s so relaxing), it will be very cold. This helps me wake up in the morning and feel more relaxed at night.

I have also begun using a hyaluronic acid serum, as my skin tends to be very dry, however, hyaluronic acid can be used on all skin types. Hyaluronic acid serums provide a lot of moisture, leaving the skin hydrated in times when you haven’t drank enough water. This serum also can prevent wrinkles, which is helpful during these stressful times. My favorite hyaluronic acid serum is the L’Oréal 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum and the CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Vitamin C is also a great moisturizer to replenish the skin. Vitamin C is beneficial as it can even out skin tone and can brighten the skin from unprotected exposure to UV rays. I use CeraVe Vitamin C Face Serum with Hyaluronic Acid , as this is a great option since it combines Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. I highly recommend CeraVe products, as they have a wide range of products for different skin types, non- comedogenic, and affordable compared to other skin care lines.

Face masks are a great way to take a break from stressful studying, and replenish your skin based on its need, whether it’s dry, acne prone, or needs brightening. . Face masks I recommend are the Burts Bee’s mask and Peach Slices Hydrate Mask. Although I have not tried it, I have heard good reviews of The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution, as it can help exfoliate the skin, and it is vegan and cruelty free! All of these options are very affordable and can be found at an Ulta or CVS.

During stressful times, I am prone to stress-acne, as many other college students can relate to. Acne patches are so helpful as they are simple solutions to reduce inflammation of the pimple and reduce the need to pop them for potential scarring. I use Peaches Slices Acne Patches, which come in a pack of varying sizes depending on how severe the breakout is. They are available at CVS, and they are very affordable.

Skin care is so important, and although college budgets can be tight, there are a lot of affordable skin care brands at drug stores for your self-care. Prioritizing your mental and physical health can help in feeling confident within yourself, your upcoming exams, and ending your semester on a high note!

Sofia Chiarizio

Emmanuel '24

My name is Sofia Chiarizio and I am a freshman at Emmanuel College, intending to major in Biology. In my free time I love to hang out with my friends and family, and watch The Office!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.