The Busy Girl with the Bright Backpack: An Interview with Megan Moriarty (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Megan Moriarty, originally from Bridgewater, MA, is a senior at Emmanuel. She is majoring in Psychology with a concentration in Counselling and Health, and minoring in Organizational Leadership. You can find this busy lady running around campus, often with her bright backpack, constantly staying involved. Most recently, you can find her leading the “Spread the Word to End the Word” campaign at Emmanuel, which will be taking pledges in the JYC on Monday, November 9. I sat down with Megan to find out more. Listen in!

HCE: How did you decide on your major and minor?

MM: I wish I had a really cool story about how I always knew what I wanted to do. But it was really just that I liked Psych, and was good at Psych, so I stuck with it. I also knew it was a very broad degree, [and] I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and it’s very applicable to other things. 

HCE: That’s very smart. 

MM: And I still have no idea what I want to do!

HCE: [Laughs] That’s fine!

MM: Was that the next question?

HCE: Kind of! I’ll rephrase it and try to make it more open, though! Do you have any idea about what you want to do career wise, or general goals for the future? 

MM: I don’t know. My internship right now at Wentworth, through the Psychology capstone program, is in higher education. Specifically, in Wentworth’s Student Affairs. So I am leaning towards going into higher ed, which is hilarious because my mom works in higher ed and she is famous in this field. So part of me doesn’t want to because everyone will be like “Oh! Told you so! You are so your mom!” But I think I’m leaning towards it. I liked college so how about we just never leave?! 

HCE: [Laughs] Yeah, we should just stay here! So what are you involved with on campus? 

MM: I am on the executive board of the SGA, that’s the big one, I am the Director of Marketing. I have served as a S.A.G.E. mentor all three years and was a mentee my first year. I am a member of ODK. And I work the front desk of St. Ann’s. I dabble in just about everything else, but those are the big ones. 

HCE: How do you balance it all?

MM: Umm, I go to bed at 10 o’clock at night. That’s not an exaggeration. It definitely helps that my roommate is student teaching, [and] get’s up at 5:00AM, so she obviously wants to go to bed early. Also, lots of coffee, my planner is color coded, and I frequently will dance in public. People think it’s because I’m a weirdo, but it’s really a form of stress-relief. 

HCE: Haters gonna hate, am I right?

MM: [Laughs] Yes! Did you see [Taylor Swift] is getting sued over that lyric?! That’s ridiculous, everyone says that!

HCE: I know! Anyways, I have an important question for you: if you had to choose between coffee and your planner, which would it be? 

MM: [Screams] Oh man! Alright, for the sake of the whole world, I think I would say coffee. Me without coffee is scary and cranky. Also, a day without seeing my friends at Dunkin is just a lost day. 

HCE: Do they know your regular order?

MM: They do. All of them do.

HCE: What is your Dunkin order of choice?

MM: Medium iced French Vanilla with milk and sugar. With the occasional toasted sesame bagel with butter, but only if my day is going to be very long.  

HCE: Is there anything you haven’t done that you want to do at Emmanuel before graduation, or anything you wish you had done? 

MM: That’s a tough question, ‘cause I’m running out of time! I don’t know. Looking back, since I spent my first two years hating school and coming close to transferring because I was so homesick, I feel like I wasted those two years. I wasn’t really involved with anything, so I really jumped in for the last two. I wasn’t in the mind set for it those first years, but I think I would’ve really loved begin an Orientation Leader.

HCE: I can totally see you being an awesome OL! So what was it that finally made you be happy at Emmanuel?

MM: Its cheesy, but involvement.

HCE: What was the first thing you were involved with that made you say “this is home”?

MM: Oh boy. I guess SGA, because it was my first leadership position and a big thing I was really involved with. But also just when I started to make my good core group of friends. The Red Sox becoming really good also helped! 

HCE: So besides classes and all that you’re involved with, what can we find you doing? 

MM: I frequently run across the quad screaming. Usually it’s lyrics to 80s pop songs, you never know with me. I run a lot. And I love the Red Sox, Bruins, and Patriots! 

HCE: What’s your 80s pop song of choice?

MM: “Come On Eileen”!

HCE: Yaaaassss! To wrap up, do you have any words of wisdom to new students who might be feeling how you felt at the time? 

MM: Don’t give up. It’s so cheesy and everyone says it, and you don’t want to hear it at the time, but it’s all 100% true.

Elisabeth (Liz) Staal is a student at Emmanuel College in Boston, MA, majoring in English, Communications and minoring in Music-Theatre and Psychology. She relates to Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Knope, and is a pun enthusiast. She has a passion for service, and producing a positive influence on the world to create change. You can follow her on Twitter @estaal15
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.