Wellness

The Body Project at Emmanuel Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you haven’t already read my last article from when we first brought The Body Project to Emmanuel, I’m happy to give you a run down about this amazing organization and our recently recognized club at Emmanuel College!

Back in October, along with three other girls, I attended a two-day, 14 hour training with our advisors and a certified trainer to become a certified Peer Facilitator for The Body Project. The Body Project is not only one of the most researched body-image programs out there, but it’s also a program that researches the effectiveness of peer facilitators in programs other students. With this certification, we can facilitate all over the world! The Body Project is intended for high school girls and also girls on college campuses.

Our mission is simple: to combat the appearance ideal brought forth by society and social media.

Fast forward today, I am happy to say that after a successful round of workshops with female students on campus, and presenting ourselves to our Student Government, we are now a recognized club at Emmanuel College!

The EC Body Project is a gender inclusive body positive club. Although we cannot be gender inclusive with our workshops, we are still making it a mission to gather up our fellow body positive students to create a more accepting environment on our campus!

Not to say that Emmanuel College has issues with sororities or puts pressure on people to conform to certain body types, one thing we for sure don’t have is a club that’s focused on promoting self love!

College is a time where your confidence is tested. My freshman year wasn’t the greatest time for me. I lost who I was, I hated my body, and I abused it. If anything I wish there was something like The Body Project in my life at the time.

As now a senior it’s bittersweet to be leaving this club, but I know it will be in good hands. Now that we have this club on campus, students just starting college have a safe space to talk about body image concerns and help spread self love. We need to take care of our fellow students!

Be on the lookout this semester for our events on campus:

February 25th: NEDA Week Mirror Challenge in the JYC 10am-12pm

February 26th: NEDA Week Self Love Stickies in the JYC 12:15pm-1:30pm (look for them around campus!)

March 18th & 25th: Session 1 of the Body Project Workshop, 7pm-9pm**

March 19th & 26th: Session 2 of the Body Project Workshop, 6pm-8pm**

March 28th: The EC Body Project teams up with Her Campus for Dress for Success Styling Event in the Fenway Room at 7pm.

**Reserve your spot for the workshops by contacting us at bodyproject@emmanuel.edu and go follow us on Instagram @theecbodyproject.

Jamie is a senior Communication & Media Studies major with a minor in Graphic Design at Emmanuel College in Boston. Currently she is concentrating her studies in PR and digital media. She serves as the PR Director for the HerCampus Emmanuel chapter.
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!