This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

This semester I have had the honor of being trained for a project with grassroots in values I was raised with: self love and women empowerment. The Body Project has at last made its way to Emmanuel College and along with 3 other girls, we will be the core peer facilitators for this project!

The Body Project is not only one of the most researched body-image programs out there, but it also is one of the most relevant and user friendly programs I have ever interacted with. This program is intended for high school girls and also girls on college campuses. Our mission is pure: to combat the appearance ideal brought forth by society and social media.

After a 14 hour training session one weekend, I can honestly say I was emotionally drained but 10x more passionate to have these discussions with my peers. Within the sessions at Emmanuel will be workshops and interactive activities about what the appearance ideal is and how we can combat it everyday. This program requires vulnerability. We will be creating a safe space for our peers on campus to talk about their personal experiences and views on their own bodies.

Our goal is female empowerment and helping girls learn to love themselves again. Each of us, as peer facilitators, feel very passionate about this program from our own experiences and we hope to encourage more girls to have these discussions with us. This is the type of program where “you get what you give.” The more you open up  about these topics of discussion, the more you will get out of it.

Each activity is a “feel good” one. Yes, there will be small homework assignments that may be difficult to complete. But we are not asking you to draw an amino acid, we are asking you to stand in front of the mirror and reflect on yourself. Hard? Yes. Impossible? Give it a try.

To all my Emmanuel gals, please feel free to email us bodyproject@emmanuel.edu if you’re interested. The only way we can combat the appearance ideal is if we start these conversations now.

Image courtesy of Body Project Collaborative

Jamie is a senior Communication & Media Studies major with a minor in Graphic Design at Emmanuel College in Boston. Currently she is concentrating her studies in PR and digital media. She serves as the PR Director for the HerCampus Emmanuel chapter.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.