burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best and Worst Looks from the Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The first Monday in May is also the night when the biggest names in fashion get to play dress up with the biggest celebrities. This year’s Met Gala featured the designs of Commes de Garcons, an amazing avant garde designer. Think giant shoulders and fun shapes. For me, this night is magical.  I get to see who actually stuck to the theme, appreciate beautiful fashion, and judge some disasters. Here are my picks of who was best and worst dressed. Check out Vogue’s website for more information on the exhibit and all the looks from the night!

Best

Janelle Mone in Ralph and Russo

Janelle Mone is a fashion queen. She has an amazing ability to pick looks that are out there, but aren’t overwhelming. Sticking to a look with black and white colors helped this a lot.

Rami Malek In Dior Homme

Most guys stick to black or navy tuxes for these events, but Rami wore red and looked fantastic.

Hailey Baldwin in Carolina Herrera

Hailey is usually not my favorite at red carpet events, but she stood out here with this elegant take on the avant garde dress code.

Gigi Hadid in Tommy Hilfiger

People have a lot of thoughts about this look, but I think it’s a win. It would have been a total win if she didn’t have that funky thigh on but, she still made the avant garde dress look hot (which is very hard to do).

Rihanna in Commes de Garcons

Honestly, everyone else can go home. This look is AMAZING! Rihanna wore the designer that the exhibition is about and looks so dang good.

Stella Maxwell in Custom H&M

Stella looks stunning in this look from H&M. It has great movement and she looks flawless.

Lily Collins Giambattista Vali

I was a little hesitant of this look, but remember the theme people! The hair and lipstick was an edgy turn for Lily and I think the risk paid off.

Worst

Rita Ora in Custom Marchesa

Rita is on theme, but it’s a bit of a mess. This dress is doing nothing for her and the nude tool at the bottom is just odd.

Solange Knowles in Thom Browne

Solange, did you think the gala was going to be boring and that you were going to need a comfy place to nap?! Sleeping bags are not a flattering look.

Madonna in Moschino

Moschino is known for their funky looks, but this is just…I don’t even know. Ruffles and camo are not a good look. Madonna is a flop in this dress.

Karlie Kloss in Carolina Herrera

Karlie, you are one of my favorite people but this look is a no. You look great but this is so wrong for the gala. Short dress and no colors = boooring!

Kendall Jenner in La Perla and Bella Hadid in Alexander Wang

These BFFs seemed to think they were going to the club in these booty baring looks. NOT the right place for this kind of vibe. Also, Bella looks like she is in a fishing net.

Sofia Richie in Topshop

Sofia, what is this jacket and shiny dress combo? I am very confused. There is too much going on. This look is a little trashy.

Katy Perry in Maison Margiela

Katy, you were a chair of this event and didn’t get it right. While I appreciate this avant garde look, you can’t see her body at all and it looks like the space station is on her head.

Best Couples

Selena Gomez in Coach and the Weekend

These two – oh my lord, they are CUTE! Selena looks fantastic and their looks pair wonderfully.

Blake Lively in Atelier Versace and Ryan Reynolds Versace

These two are one of the chicest couples to ever exist. Blake looks fantastic in this look, which is hard to do even feathers and sequins combined. Blake gets it right every time.

Overall, this year’s Met Gala did not disappoint. Everyone came out for a great cause, and hopefully those who flopped will learn better for next year!

*All images courtesy of Vogue.com

A small but mighty 5'4 female who is a lover of dogs, all things chocolate and fashion. Sophomore at Emmanuel College.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.