Affirmations for Strained Family Relationships During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As we approach the holiday season, so many emotions naturally begin to rise to the surface. The holidays are a time for unity and love, two things which I hope every person reading this will be able to experience. However, regardless of your family dynamic or how you celebrate during this season, you may feel other emotions too. It’s okay to acknowledge that sometimes the holidays make us feel sad. 

The holidays can be an incredibly overstimulating moment in the year, and sometimes when you are not able to celebrate in the “traditional” way, you experience sadness. When this happens, it becomes far too easy to blame ourselves. Well, friend, I’m here to remind you that those feelings or realities are not your fault. It is not your fault if your holiday looks different than the average family’s. We can tune into our hearts and remind ourselves that we can find other ways to validate our feelings and realities during these times.  

• I get to choose who I surround myself with in this lifetime. I can and will choose who I consider to be a part of my family.

• It is okay to cut out toxic family members, just because I share a biological relationship with them, does not mean I deserve their negative energy. 

• My friendships are just as important as my biological relationships. 

• I give myself permission to step away from a conversation or moment when I become overly stressed or anxious. 

• I am never alone. I am surrounded by people who love me. 

• I forgive myself and others who have hurt me. 

• I am grateful for those in my life who I consider being family. 

• I show love to the most important people in my life.

• It is okay to want to spend time alone during the holiday season.

• It is okay if I am not able to celebrate in traditional ways.

• I am grateful for my ability to validate my experiences + emotions. 

• I appreciate myself. 

• I find joy in the small moments.

• I show compassion to myself and others around me. 

• I am allowed to set emotional, mental and physical boundaries with family members.

Morgan Liska

Emmanuel '22

I am a Communications + Media Studies major with a minor in Writing, currently attending Emmanuel College. Outside of school, my passions reside in teaching yoga, practicing energy work/reiki healing, advocating for animal rights and listening to music. I think this life is absolutely beautiful and I love questioning what this human experience really is. As I wake up each day and further create myself, I can’t wait to continue to share those lessons with Her Campus readers. My words are my truth and I lovingly hand them to you. Love + Light, Morgan
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.