9 Things Only Notre Dame Residents Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Off-campus housing is definitely a luxury that a lot of Emmanuel students pursue eventually, but with this past housing selection in recent memory, I continue to wonder why more people don’t give any thought to living at NDC.

Maybe people don’t want to wake up early to catch the shuttle. Or maybe it’s too small of a living space for them. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if the history of the property had someone concerned they’d find a ghost standing over them some night. It is valid to consider all of this when looking at NDC, but in truth, a lot of the appeal of the campus includes comes from those unique little things and so much more. Here are some experiences you can only expect to have if you choose to live at Notre Dame.

1. Piling into the early shuttles for your 8 or 9 AM with a solid third of the NDC populace some mornings, and having it completely to yourself on others.

This also means getting to know the drivers and the radio stations they like.

2. Being able to hear absolutely everything your neighbor is saying/doing at a given moment.

Usually they’re just watching John Mulaney’s New in Town special for the third time that week.

3. Having access to an industrial kitchen and hosting very adult dinner parties.

Or you can reenact an episode of Chopped.

4. Exercising and then buying a snack out of the vending machine strategically located right next to the equipment.

You gotta replenish those calories.

5. Somehow finding yourself roped into doing all this service, and then realizing you genuinely like doing it…

…and then maybe taking a service trip and questioning why your major doesn’t involve human services or politics.

6. Walking into the Garrison House and feeling the very palpable temperature change that means ghosts are upon us.

1. Being snowed in on beautiful, quiet Fort Hill with friends.

Not to mention the insane sunsets.

8. Going for walks in Roxbury and trying the local food.

Grabbing sandwiches at Mike’s Donuts and picnicking at the playground across the street makes for an ideal afternoon.

9. Being located just yards away from the home of one Moose Berens.

Ignore my face and LOOK AT THAT SWEET MUG.

So, whether you’re someone who really likes community service or someone who might just want the privacy of a single, consider Notre Dame for next year’s housing selection. I promise it’ll bring you lovely memories and many extra Moose snuggles.

Emily is a senior *gulps* at Emmanuel College with a great passion for psychology, writing, and theatre. She loves animals, movies, museums, and smiling. Bukowski is her favorite poet, and she identifies with Tina Belcher on a very strong spiritual level. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.