books on a bookshelf
books on a bookshelf
Tasha Young

6 Empowering Books to Add to Your Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Instead of doing a Secret Santa this past December, my group of friends and I decided to do a book swap the following January. It gave us something to look forward to at the start of the semester and ensured that each of us had a new, empowering addition to our personal libraries. It was a blast piling into the dining hall with elegant wrapping paper and bows covering gifts picked with love and intention. If you’re looking to add some books to your collection, here is a list of the ones we exchanged!

Becoming by Michelle Obama 

This was the book I recieved. Written by one of America’s most iconic first ladies, Michelle Obama’s memoir takes readers through her entire life, from her upbringing in the South Side of Chicago to her experience living in the White House. Her voice is full of warmth and wisdom, and I recommend this book to everyone!

Girl Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis 

This book is definitely on my to-read list! It covers everything a good self-help book should: authenticity, focusing on improving yourself instead of others and how to stop doubting your own potential. Girl, Wash Your Face, another book written by Hollis, is another must-read.

Girl on Fire by Cara Alwill Leyba 

Written by the author of Girl Code, this book is all about breaking the rules, creating your own opportunities and lifting other women up instead of competing against them. A #GirlBoss must-have!

Text Me When You Get Home by Kayleen Schaefer 

I bought this book for one of my friends. It’s all about female friendships, exploring these dynamics in everything from TV shows to today’s world. It expels the idea that women should be rivals or that friendships among women are superficial, aka super important points.

Mindfulness on the Go by Jan Chozen Bays 

If you’re looking to incorporate mindfulness into your life but find it overwhelming, this is the book for you! It gives readers 25 mindfulness exercises that can be done in a short amount of time anywhere. Trying these options out is a great way to be more present and centered in your day-to-day life.

She Persisted Quotes to Motivate and Inspire by Becca Cahan

This book is the perfect pick-me-up! It’s filled with vibrant art and inspirational quotes, perfect to read with your morning coffee.

I hope these book suggestions give you some options for your next read or purchase for a friend! Each one is empowering and bright in it’s own way, and I can’t wait to read them all!

Victoria Harding is a senior at Emmanuel College majoring in communications with a minor in management. She is a fourth year Her Campus at Emmanuel member, and is thrilled to be HCE's President this year! Victoria is also a Resident Assistant, member of Emmanuel College's 1804 Society, a residence hall desk assistant, and intern at MEDIAGIRLS. Follow her on Twitter @VictoriaRose_29 and Instagram @victoriahardingg.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.