5 Steps to Loving Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Between media messages and social pressures, it can often be hard to love your body. Sometimes self-love and confidence can even be shamed as vanity and narcissism. But none of that should stop you from rocking who you are and loving every second of it! You are an attractive and loveable being and you should know it! These five tips will get you on the path to loving your body and learning to respect yourself as you are.

1. Your flaws are not failures.

Your stretch marks are proof that you have lived in your skin. Your acne is natural and completely normal. Cellulite does not detract from your beauty or your personality. Birthmarks and scars are just natural tattoos that make you interesting and unique. You don’t have to be perfect to be worthy of love. These little things that you may see as flaws are what t make you loveable. Once you accept your little differences, you can reject the notion that they make you any less than who you are.

2. Don’t get caught up in fads.

No body type is the “right” body type, no matter what a magazine cover might say. If you want to lose a few pounds or bulk up some muscle, do it for you. You are smoking hot right now and you are worthy of love right now. If you want to change to feel healthier, then make that choice out of love for your body, not out of longing to change it.

3. Wear what you like.

Don’t let the media dictate what is appropriate for you to wear. If you like something, wear it. If you want to get those jeans, get them. If you feel more comfortable in a loose hoodie, go for it! Your body is your temple and you may adorn it as you wish. No one can shame you into changing, because you own your body and if you feel hot in an outfit then that is the only thing that matters.

4. Respect yourself.

You were born with this body and it’s the only one you will ever have. Know that you are worthy of love and respect. You deserve to be treated the way that you want to be treated. That respect should start with you. You dictate how you want to be respected and you should show that respect in everything you do, even in the way you think about yourself.

5. Look at yourself as a whole person.

You are more than the limits and confines of your weight, ethnicity, or gender. You are a whole, beautiful person. Look at everything you’ve done; all of your accomplishments, the person you’ve become, and the good that you do. All of that was done in the skin you are in. You are remarkable and you will continue to do remarkable things. Your body will not and does not limit you in any way. You will not become a better person by looking differently.

It can be a long and hard journey to love yourself, but I hope these tips help you look at yourself in a more positive light. Your body does not define who you are, only you can do that. Why not love the skin you’re in?

Recent grad who majored in psychology and minored in English literature at Emmanuel College in Boston. Desk Assistant for Residence Life, part time writer, and fully acclimated transfer student at EC. Cat video enthusiast. Special skills include: being boss at Cards Against Humanity, knowing way too much Harry Potter trivia and becoming emotionally attached to fictional characters. Loving life and hoping to one day make a difference.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.