18 Things to Look Forward to in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

2017 was a whirlwind to say the least, so we all deserve an awesome year– just as a compensation. Here are some reasons you should get excited about 2018!

1.The Winter Olympics

This year, the world will come together once again to compete in the Winter Olympics, located in PyeongChang, South Korea. Team U.S.A. will take to the slopes from February 9th to the 25th, and until then, you can feel the anticipation build as the U.S. announces its snowboarding, cross country skiing, and alpine skiing teams.

2. The royal wedding

Surely by now you have heard that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are engaged, but did you know they set a date for the wedding? Yes, on May 19th, we will have another royal wedding– which is great for us Americans, just because we love ourselves a fairytale love story!

3. Another royal baby

Speaking of the royal family, Prince William and Kate Middleton will welcome their third child this year. Kate Middleton is due in April, but that won’t stop her from looking fab AF until then.

4. Lunar eclipse

On January 31st, we will not only see another eclipse, but what has been coined the “Super Blue Blood Moon.” This supermoon will be visible to the U.S. before sunrise on the 31st, which sounds like a pretty good excuse for waking up early to me.

5. Space tourism

If you feel really inspired by seeing the lunar eclipse and happen to have a lot of cash on you, you’re in luck! The spaceflight companies Virgin Galactic and SpaceX are currently competing to be the first company to offer space tourism. Spring break, anyone?

6. Beyonce at Coachella

Festival goers rejoice! This is probably as big as Coachella gets, with Beyonce taking the mainstage alongside The Weeknd and Eminem. If you ask me, though, Queen Bey alone could do the whole festival, no problem.

7. Justin Timberlake returns to the Super Bowl Halftime Show

For die-hard JT fans like me, this makes my entire year. I know for sure my friends will not forgive me for the impending emotional breakdown I’ll have when he takes the stage. Also, I’m really holding out hope that Janet Jackson makes an appearance, so as to say the infamous incident is water under the bridge. That, and I just really want to see a Rhythm Nation duet.

8. The Incredibles sequel

As someone who can recite every line of The Incredibles, I thoroughly approve of this sequel. I wish it hadn’t taken 14 years to get here, but I guess Disney knows how to keep people wanting more.

9. Kardashian baby boom

2018 will be the year of the Kardashian trifecta. While Kim may have already had her surrogate baby, we still have Khloe and (possibly) Kylie’s babies to look forward to. I’m not one to binge watch the Kardashians, but I’m definitely going to tune in to find out if Kylie’s really pregnant or if Kris Jenner is punking us all.

10. FIFA World Cup 2018

The World Cup takes place in Russia in July of this year, which is great news for both fans of soccer, and wannabe wives of Cristiano Ronaldo.

11. Jonas Brothers reunion?

Lately, there has been a lot of speculation that the Jonas Brothers are reuniting, since they recently reactivated their Instagram account. I don’t know if this will actually happen, but I can hear 2008 fangirls screaming in the distance.

12. Commercial flights to Antarctica

2018 will be the first year that you can take a vacation to Antarctica! Although, I’m not quite sure if this would be an ideal vacation– unless you’re an avid penguin lover

13. Titanic dives

Thanks to London-based travel company Blue Marble Private, you will be able to take a diving expedition of the sunken Titanic. This doesn’t exactly sound like a weekend getaway type of adventure, but it’s definitely one to add to the bucket list!

14. Mary Poppins Returns

This sequel follows the now grown-up Jane and Michael Banks, who have children of their own that are in need of a little magic. Seriously, this is the sequel I didn’t know I needed. And who could do it better than Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, and Lin-Manuel Miranda?

15. Frozen the Musical

Yeah, I bet we saw this coming. Frozen-mania isn’t over yet, especially since it’ll be taking the main stage this spring. And the only real difference between the movie and the play is this time you get to sing with the characters IRL.

16. Meteor showers

2018 will be filled with amazing celestial sights, including multiple meteor showers. One of the best showers will be in August, calling for some incredible summer stargazing.

17. Slice, starring Chance the Rapper

This indie horror flick investigates the murder of a pizza delivery driver, but more importantly, it stars Chance the Rapper– or should I say Chance the Actor?

18. Mean Girls on Broadway

You may be able to recite all the lines from Mean Girls, but are you ready to sing them? Tina Fey’s totally fetch movie hits Broadway this year. Just remember to wear pink!

2017 was insane, but it’s time to put the past behind us. Make 2018 your year!

Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.