13 Ways to Invest in Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

1. Manage your time

It is important to organize your time in your daily schedule. Organization with your classes, time with friends, and fun activities are valuable to a healthy mind. Having all of these activities and events in your life are very important your overall well-being in your day-to-day life.

2. Travel

Traveling is a great way to get out of town and outside of your comfort zone. Taking a trip does not always mean going across the country. Travel to a city you’ve never been to, or a part of town that you always say you want to visit is a great way to open your mind to possibilities. Taking an adventure outside of ‘your bubble’ helps create memories and gives you a chance for new opportunities.

3. Choose your friends wisely

I am sure many people agree with me when I say that you learn people’s true colors as you get to know them. If you are realizing that your friends are not looking in your best interest or not caring about you outside of your image, it might be time to talk to them. You deserve friends who make you happy, value your opinion, and want what is best for you at all times. Know your worth!

4. Take a course and learn a new skill

It is always good to try something new because you might end up really enjoying it and finding a new talent. There are so many opportunities and events going on in the city and on campus, so take advantage of those activities. I recently started going to yoga class in my free time and love it now. I dare you to try something new and give it a chance.

5. Read a book

Sometimes, all you need is some peace and quiet with a good book. A good book can take you away from your stressful day and bring you peace at the end of your day. I recently finished Crazy Rich Asians and highly recommend it, if you haven’t already read it.

6. Take care of your body

Exercise is one of the best ways to let out steam. Working out helps releases endorphins which will make you feel better. Working out helps you release tension, sweat out your stress, and get out the energy you have been holding in all day. Exercise doesn’t always have to be an intense workout session. Options like yoga or dance classes are also great ways to take care of your body.  

7. Be passionate

With whatever you are doing in your life, make sure to always be proud of yourself and your accomplishments. When you are part of a club, team, and even a school project that you care about, you will exceed your expectations and impress yourself.

8. Expand your network

Never be afraid to socialize with new people. Say hi or give a simple smile to people you have classes with and create the conversation. Having a large social network shows yourself that there are many people out there looking to be your friend and like socializing with you. Making new friends and creating a conversation with others builds your sense of self-esteem as you find more interests with people who enjoy the same things.

9. Save your money for rainy days

Although I struggle with this a lot, I find that saving my money in the end is worth it. Having the money to later on spend on something I really wanted is much more worth it than spending it on little things I do not need. I find that my friends like to go on shopping sprees, so saving money for situations like this is very much worth it.

10. Invest your money

College students care about what their money goes towards. Make sure to invest your money in places that you care about, and watch your money grow exponentially.

11. Set goals

Goals add so much valuable to everyone’s lives. They’re the stepping stone to building your self-esteem and confidence in yourself as you grow up. You can start by making little, achievable goals that can be accomplished in a short amount of time. 12.  Find a mentor

A mentor can be anyone you look up to or see as a good influence on your life. This person can be someone you go to talk to, whether it’s about your day-to-day situations or big events that you need to open up about. This person is someone you feel comfortable talking to and being yourself around. They should bring out your best self, and push you to be your best.

13. Stop procrastinating

Procrastination has the biggest effect on anyone’s drive to succeed. It is something that can keep you from finishing your to-do list or reaching your goals. Make sure procrastination does not take over your life and make you miss out of important opportunities, or even simple things like studying for midterms. Procrastination shouldn’t run your life.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Olivia Orsino

Emmanuel '20

I am a Senior at Emmanuel College with a passion for writing.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.