10 Ways to Know You’ve Found Your Lifelong Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

1.You can go for months without seeing them and it’s like nothing has happened. The conversation flows without hesitation and suddenly it’s three hours later and you have been updated on everything from their grandma’s escapades to her new favorite kind of granola.

2. You find something on the internet, or someone tells you something, and you need to tell your friend immediately. Whether it’s a new meme, a cool shirt, or what just went down on The Bachelor, you need to share it with them pronto.

3. Your future plans involve them. You casually mention what their role will be in your wedding, where you will summer together and when you both will escape your daily lives for a European  midlife crisis adventure.

4. Their family events are your family events. You have become a regular at Friday night pizza night or Saturday scrabble. Whatever is important to their family is important to you, too. From little sisters’ birthday parties to funerals, you are there for each other no matter what.

5. You call their parents by their first name. Maybe not to their face, but often conversations start with “you’ll NEVER believe what Michelle said last night”, and then go into what your mom did. They will retort with “Classic Michelle”. Something about calling them by their first names to each other makes it so much more fun, but you don’t really know why.

6. Their pets love you. They walk into your house and your dog starts running around and wheezing with an excitement that is reserved for a select few. You may even be so lucky to have their cat try to sit on your face in the middle of the night!

7. If they don’t remember a memory between the two of you, you take it personally. It may be as minor as not remembering a trip to the grocery store at midnight to get some cereal, but memories are forever, man.

8. Buying a present for them is like buying a present for you. You may find yourself buying them the cutest top and counting down the days until it is socially acceptable to ask if you can borrow it without seeming savage.

9. You get just as excited for their achievements and milestones as you do about your own. When they get the internship they have worked so hard for, you find yourself squealing with excitement. Don’t even get started on their birthdays.

10. You can be with them and sit in silence and it isn’t awkward. After having a full on dance session in the car, you can sit silently and stare out the window without feeling like a weirdo. You just enjoy being together.

A small but mighty 5'4 female who is a lover of dogs, all things chocolate and fashion. Sophomore at Emmanuel College.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.