Why The Ending in The Big Bang Theory Series Finale Brought Me To Tears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This article contains spoilers regarding The Big Bang Theory’s series finale, “Stockholm Syndrome.”

It was three weeks ago when I binge-watched The Big Bang Theory, laughing and falling in love with the characters and the friendships made on the show. When we finally reached the final episode, “Stockholm Syndrome,” I thought to myself, “this is it.” I was so excited to see as to how the show was going to end, yet I couldn’t help but feel sad knowing that I would have let go of the TV show I had grown so attached to. 

When I watched Sheldon’s speech towards the end, my heart broke, and the tears started falling down my face. 

In Sheldon’s Nobel Prize Speech, he first begins by saying thank you to his family. Then he thanks his “other family” –  his friends Raj (Kunal Nayar), Bernadette (Melissa Rauch), Howard (Simon Helberg), Penny (Kaley Cuoco), and Leonard (Johnny Galecki). In the speech, Sheldon (Jim Parsons) says, “I was under a misapprehension that my accomplishments were mine alone. Nothing can be further from the truth. I have been sustained, inspired, and tolerated not only by my wife but by the greatest group of friends anyone ever had,” then asks them to stand. After some quick remarks about Penny and Leonard, Sheldon continues by saying, “I apologize if I haven’t been the friend you deserve but I want you to know that in my way, I love you all.” Then Sheldon turns to his wife, Amy (Mayim Bialik), saying “and I love you,” before ending his speech. 

When I heard these lines, I was moved. In each and every episode for the twelve seasons I watched Sheldon, he was condescending, unemotional, and narcissistic. Now, here he was, expressing his love for his friends and thanking them for their support – sincerely.  From this speech, I saw that behind the glass-cased character of Sheldon, he was actually a person who over time became attuned to the emotions of others, kind, apologetic, and selfless. In my eyes, he was human now and not the robotic individual that he was in season one.  People change, for the better.

Sheldon’s speech also reminded me of the power of friendship. Finding true friends can be life-changing. Sheldon showed that our success is not only ours, but also of our friends. Friends help us achieve our dreams and aspirations through their love and support, telling us to shoot for the stars. Despite our shortcomings, you know that they will always be there and understand your situation, no matter what. 

Friends are family, a message that I am too familiar with. In my first year at Emerson, I was thousands of miles away from my parents and sister. I was anxious and scared. But then I found a great group of friends who cheered me on in all my endeavors, lightened my spirits when I was down, and accepted me for who I am – quirks and all. They gave me a sense of “home” which gave me comfort while I was overseas. This helped me adjust to campus life easier. So, when I watched this scene, it reminded me of that experience and to bear in mind that I must not take them for granted.  

What was a simple finale to The Big Bang Theory was a perfect encapsulation of the importance of friendships in our lives. That definitely made me look back at my own freshman friendship story. 

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
Emerson contributor