Which Studio Ghibli Heroine Are You Based on Your Major?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There are a plethora of inspiring Studio Ghibli heroines, each with a unique personality. Ever wondered which one you would be according to your Emerson major? Well, now’s your chance to find out!

1. Shizuku (Whisper of the Heart): Writing, Literature, and Publishing

This one is the most obvious, but that doesn’t make it less true! Over the course of her movie, Shizuku discovers she wants to be a writer and dedicates herself to writing her first full-length story. There is no doubt any WLP-er can relate to Shizuku as they stay up late putting the finishing touches on a story in time for their writing workshop.

2. Sheeta (Castle in the Sky): Communication Disorders

Sheeta, the rightful heir to Laputa, the castle in the sky, was taught a magical language by her grandmother. Ultimately, she uses the forbidden word meaning ‘destroy’ to dismantle the castle itself, invoking a dark spell to save the day. Therefore, it makes sense that Sheeta would be right at home in Comm Disorders, representing a rare science at Emerson.

3. Fio (Porco Rosso): Stage and Screen Design/Technology      Fio is the most technically minded of the Ghibli girls and she would probably be most at home as an engineer, but at Emerson, this would translate to Stage and Screen Design/Technology. In addition to her technical skills, Fio could utilize her creativity as well, just like any Stage and Screen Design/Technology major!

4. Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind): Political Communication, with a minor in Environmental Studies

Nausicaa is technically a princess and serves as a leader for her people, so Political Communication would be a perfect fit. A Poli Comm major may not be royalty, but they do have a hand inspiring action through effective communication. For extra credit, any Environmental Studies minor can appreciate Nausicaa’s environmental message.

5. Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service): Business of Creative Enterprises

As a young witch, Kiki starts her own business, and while most BCE majors may not be able to ride around on broomsticks, they can definitely relate to Kiki’s entrepreneurial spirit.

6. Sophie (Howl’s Moving Castle): Journalism

In Howl’s Moving Castle, Sophie discovers what happened to Howl’s heart and helps him get it back; she also hates to see anyone exploited. Anyone interested in the field of journalism, especially investigative journalism, can probably relate as Sophie must uncover the truth about those around her.

7. Chihiro (Spirited Away): Undecided!

Undecided majors are rare at Emerson, but there are a handful of students who are questioning exactly what major would suit them best. Chihiro represents those feelings as the movie Spirited Away serves as a coming of age story where Chihiro learns about herself. Here’s hoping our undecideds here don’t have to work in a bathhouse before they find their true calling!

Abby McAuliffe is a junior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. In the future, she hopes to become an editor and science fiction author.
Emerson contributor