Wellness > Health

The Pill and Me: How My Diagnosis Changed My Beliefs on Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I consider myself an open book, for the most part. I love talking and giving advice, so I’ll share pretty much anything about myself if prompted. That is, unless it relates to my health. 

Yearly physicals became a dreaded event for me ever since I was young. I would rather disappear into a sinkhole before I subjected myself to talking to a doctor for twenty munutes. Fate has a funny way of forcing you to do the thing you hate the most because I was not only diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder but also a hormonal disorder within two years, the latter being PCOS. 

If you are unfamiliar with the term, PCOS stands for Polycystic ovarian syndrome. In simple terms, it’s a condition with an imbalance of hormones, specifically an abnormal amount of androgens (male hormons). This can sometimes lead to cysts on ovaries, but not everyone diagnosed with PCOS has this. Everyone’s symptoms are different: some being acne, irregular periods, extra hair on face, weight gain, and infertility. In fact, PCOS affects 5% to 10% of women between the ages of 14-55, so there is no one size fits all. 

Polycystic ovarian syndrome first appeared in my vocabulary in the late spring of my senior year after a visit to the dermatologist. For the better part of high school, I had struggled with acne. I washed my face twice a day and no matter what cleanser or moisturizer I switched to, it would have no affect on me. My dermatologist suggested that a hormonal imbalance, PCOS, could be the reason. Leaving that appointment, I began researching and scouring the internet for any information I could get my hands on. It all began to click for me. Almost every symptom attributed to PCOS I could pin point to myself; I felt like I was a textbook definition. I finally received my proper diagnosis a few months later after an annual visit to my endocrinologist where she also gave me a prescription for birth control pills, a common treatment for PCOS.  

As I began my perscription, I couldn’t help but feel a certain shame around my little pack of pills. I grew up in a world that frownded upon birth control, citing an outdated belief that only “certain kinds of people” took it. Here I was, a celibate soon-to-be freshman in college, having friends and family members wiggle their eyebrows and make snide comments about the real reason I was on the pill. 

While I’ve only been on the pill a little less than six months, my views surrounding it has drastically changed. I personally use the pill to treat my PCOS, but there are a myriad of reasons people decide to take it. Some people use it to treat their acne, Endometriosis, PMS/period symptoms, or even just as a contraceptive. All of these reasons are so important and so valid, and it isn’t for anyone else to judge why you take it. Left untreated, PCOS symptoms could not only persist, but it could eventually lead to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or even various types of cancer. This is just in relation to my body! For other women, the pill allows them to live without debilitating pain or just be able to function in their daily lives. 

Birth control and how and why you take it is purely up to you. While I could do without the side effects and societal shame, I’m so thankful for my pill. It has allowed me to feel confident in my body and manage my symptoms and it allows other women to grow and thrive. For that, I am most grateful. 

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.
Emerson contributor