This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re having a rough day, sometimes there’s nothing better than watching a familiar movie—one you might already know all the words to, but still puts a smile on your face every time. Here are some of my favorite movies that I always feel are worth the rewatch.

1. Pete’s Dragon (1977)

The original Pete’s Dragon has always been one of my favorite movies. It’s a cute film about an orphan named Pete and his (cartoon) dragon, Elliot. It’s a classic Disney musical with catchy songs and a feel-good message as Pete learns what family really means while Elliot teaches him a lot of valuable lessons about the world. The recent remake is visually stunning, but the classic will always hold my heart with its impeccable soundtrack.

2. Big Hero 6 (2014)

Big Hero 6 didn’t do amazing in the box office compared to similar films, but it’s one of my favorites. Big Hero 6 is about young Hiro who discovers a medical robot named Baymax that his brother invented before he passed. When trouble starts, Hiro forms a team with Baymax and his brother’s friends to defeat the evil person taking over their town.

3. Airplane! (1980)

This one tends to be a tiny bit controversial but it’ll always be a classic to me. Airplane! is a slapstick comedy about former pilot Ted Striker who rushes onto a plane begging his ex-girlfriend Elaine Dickinson to get back together with him. Hilarity ensues. Not only does this movie get you laughing out loud, but it’s got classic 80s throwback vibes, including a disco dance flashback scene.

4. Moonstruck (1987)

Starring the impossible duo of Cher and Nicolas Cage, the premise of Moonstruck is absolutely insane. However, I highly highly recommend it. Set in Brooklyn, New York, Cher’s character gets engaged, only for her fiancé to fly to Italy on short notice, requesting she get in contact with his long lost brother, played by Nicolas Cage, and invite him to the wedding before her fiancé is to return back to the States. Moonstruck is the perfect blend of comedy and drama for the ideal girl’s night movie.

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

If you’re not familiar with The Rocky Horror Picture Show, it can sound overwhelming. The movie became a cult classic due to how simply terrible it is. Ever since, theaters have held midnight showings where audiences yell clever jokes at the screen and throw various props at one another. Unironically, some of the songs are absolute bangers, but The Rocky Horror Picture Show will always hold a special place in my heart because of all the memories I’ve made with friends at these midnight showings.

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor