This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Since coming to college, I have learned the importance of self care when adjusting to this big change in lifestyle. While some define self care as face masks or meditation, I find it in walking to class, running at the gym, or wandering around the city during my free time—all always accompanied by my best friend: my airpods. For self care, I can count on these songs to boost my mood and get me going everyday.

“Love You For A Long Time” by Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers has become a recent obsession of mine in the last few months. Listening to this song while getting ready in the morning wakes me up and gets me ready for the day. It instantly puts me in a good mood every time.

“One Too Many” by Fletcher 

Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE Fletcher. She’s hands down my favorite artist. When this song was released back in November, I wasn’t the biggest fan of it, but after watching a video of Fletcher talking about writing it as a form of closure she never got, I began listening to it more and love how much the lyrics represent her feelings about her relationship.

“How to Be a Heartbreaker” by MARINA and the Diamonds

I’ve always loved this song for so many reasons. I first heard this song during one summer when I was around 13, and it immediately brings me back to summer. I love how upbeat it is and it’s a go-to when I’m on the treadmill!

“Make Me Feel” by Janelle Monáe

My friend Kevin showed me this song last summer. I remember he played it for a week straight back at home, so whenever I listen to it, it reminds me of hanging out with him all the time over the summer. It’s such a fun song to play while driving around downtown Chicago with my friends.

“I’ll Be There” by Jess Glynne

In my opinion, Jess Glynne is SO underrated. I love her raspy voice and the lyrics of her songs are always something I feel like I can relate to. This song’s message especially just reminds me of always being there for someone no matter how bad they treat you. Not only is it extremely catchy, but reminds me to always be there for everyone.

“La Di Da” by Lennon Stella

I recently started really listening to Lennon Stella and I not only love her voice, but all of her songs somehow always end up in my head. This song is so fun to listen to while walking around the city at night and makes me feel like I’m a character in a movie.

“War Paint” by Fletcher

This is my all time favorite song at the moment, which all my friends know. I can listen to this song on repeat for hours and it never gets old. I love the beat and Fletcher’s voice really stands out in this song for me. It’s become a routine of listening to it everyday on the way to class.

“Call on Me” by Starley

This song is great to blast and sing along to with friends. It’s catchy and such an upbeat song that is also a go-to for me when I’m at the gym.

“Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson

What a classic. Everyone and their mother knows this song. Everytime I listen to it, I’m immediately taken back to the days of Princess Diaries and my childhood. It always reminds me of being carefree and having fun.

“Anything’s Possible” by Lea Michele

This song was featured on a retreat I went on in high school, and reminds me of all of the lessons I learned about friendships and caring for myself. Listening to this song immediately takes me back to a weekend of growing close with a lot of the classmates in my high school graduating class that I never really talked to until senior year.

“Glitter” by Benee

My roommate showed me this song and immediately, it was stuck in my head. My friend, roommate, and I saw Benee in concert back in the Fall at Berklee College of Music and used to always play it first semester. I know for sure that if I ever want to be taken back to freshman year a few years from now, this song will do it. It reminds me of all the memories I’ve made so far at Emerson.

“Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper

With this song, I think the title speaks for itself. Within the first few seconds of this song coming on, I immediately get in a fun and energetic mood, just wanting to dance around with my friends.

“Beautiful Soul” by Jesse McCartney

I love how whenever this song comes on in the car with friends, everyone starts singing at the top of their lungs. It reminds me of my friends back home and can instantly make me feel better whenever I get homesick.

Allison
Emerson contributor