This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As part of the Her Campus National Sister Chapter Program, I got the opportunity to meet one of the Her Campus members from Northeastern! Meet Ariana Matos:

What’s your major?

My major is Communication Studies with a minor fashion, as I was a transfer student from Lasell College and used to major in Fashion Communications.

Where are you from?

Quincy, Massachusetts

What are three interesting facts about you?

I am going to Paris this summer to study fashion, I am bilingual (Spanish and English), and I am a Northeastern ‘legacy’ student since my sister attended the university as well.

Why did you choose to go the Northeastern?

Like I mentioned I am a transfer, I wanted to attend a larger university. As well as seize the unique opportunities that Northeastern had to offer me such as co-op and various study abroad programs.

What are your career goals? Do you think Her Campus has benefited you in moving toward them? If so, how?

As a Communications major, Her Campus has allowed me to refine, while also be creative in writing. I am not entirely sure what I would like to do upon graduating but my primary passions are women’s rights, specifically for minority women, I would love to put both my interest and major to use. Because Her Campus was created as a space for women college students, I feel like I am contributing to the cause of empowering women writers. I am also in charge of the Snapchat platform for Her Campus Northeastern, allowing me to delve into managing a social media account on a little more of a public level.

Are you part of any other co-curriculars other than Her Campus? If so, which organizations and what do you do for them?

First semester I worked with The Avenue, Northeastern’s fashion magazine, and I was their stylist for their fall edition for a 90s styled shoot.

What is your favorite part about college?

I have two answers to this question… The freedom that comes with making decisions. It can be nerve-racking at times, however, it is liberating to know that you have the ability to make your own decisions and exercise your independence. Meeting friends from various places! Because I attended a smaller college, coming into Northeastern and meeting a diverse pool of individuals has been an incredible experience. I now know people from Miami, Montana, California, Brazil, India, etc.

What impact do you think that writing for something such as her campus has on either your community or campus?

There are several publications at Northeastern, but what is unique about Her Campus is it being an online platform in which all of us are not limited to a specific type of writing rather have a wide range of opportunities to write about what interests us.

If you could have any superpower what would it be and why?

To be able to fly, that way I could visit any destination that I desired while still enjoying an amazing view from above and with this superpower I would be probably never have to rush to class!

What is your favorite movie?

Forrest Gump, it’s a classic and I was very disappointed when it was take off of Netflix!  It is very inspiring as he proves to everyone who did not believe in him that he can be a successful individual.

What do you hope never changes regarding this generation?

I am currently taking a Social Movement Communications class and what I have seen, especially after the unfortunate Parkland shooting incident, is that our generation has a will to unite against a cause that is clearly an issue in our nation. I think social media is a strong force to be reckoned with if used correctly, that can serve as a tool to raise awareness and prompt our society to move forward and enact change.  

Emerson contributor