This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Take a look at the hair around you – what do you see? Either Rapunzel lookalikes or brave souls with short, short haircuts. Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but in a world of extremes, it can be hard to find a haircut that’s a middle ground – something that will stand out, but can still be thrown into a professional ponytail if need be.

Enter the lob, or long bob for those of you who are out of touch with the hair care world. The lob has been around for probably all of time. However, it’s been making a major appearance this year, especially on the red carpet. Stars like Sarah Hyland and Rosamund Pike have been seen sporting this versatile ‘do. Can the lob make the cut for your new spring hairstyle? Consider several things before booking that appointment.

While the lob is incredibly versatile, it’s not a great option for people with very thin or very thick hair. Thick-haired gals may find the cut difficult to manage, while thin-haired girls might find that it makes their hair stringy. Instead try a slightly longer style that falls just past the shoulders.

However, if you are well suited for the lob, go for it! Don’t be afraid to bring in a picture of a celeb whose hair you love or is like your own when getting your haircut. (I brought in a photo of Dianna Agron’s lob. No shame.)

Once you take the shoulder-grazing plunge, be sure you’re prepared for the aftermath. Styling products should vary based on your texture, but invest in some go-to mousse and a flat iron so you can always mix it up. Anti-frizz products and hairspray are also great for keeping your hair sleek!

Whatever you do, don’t be afraid to take a risk. The lob can be a great look that allows you to go short, but keep it manageable. Not to mention, it will make you look much older. So make the plunge! You (hopefully) won’t regret it!

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Emerson contributor