This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The world is getting a bit scary right now. COVID-19 has swept across the globe, spreading quickly and shutting down entire countries. In Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker issued a shelter-in-place, closing all non-essential businesses and banning gatherings of more than 10 people. It’s become a bit lonely for some, Instagram threads linking across the internet as people look for ways to occupy their time. But, through it all, we’re not the only ones in this. 

Pets are used to jumping around the house, enjoying pleasant walks in the sunshine, and trips to the park. Some like staying at home, slinking around corners and snuggling in beds, but all pets want attention. They want playtime. Believe it or not, they do get bored (maybe not after the first 20 times you throw a ball, but eventually). Worse, bored pets are more likely to get in trouble, trying to entertain themselves. So here are some things to keep both yourself and your pet active (while staying in quarantine guidelines). 

Pet them like you mean it.

Yes, this one seems like a no-brainer. Give a great belly rub. Scratch that perfect spot behind their ear. Rub their neck a bit. Cats and dogs and lots of furry friends love that close-up personal time. It’s important to remember to keep that going during quarantine. Now that you’re home, take advantage of it. Sure, there are some extra chores that come along with being home with a pet, but they missed. You show them some love.

Teach them something new.

This one might take a bit more diligence, but you’ve got plenty of time. Maybe your dog (like mine) doesn’t like to take direction. Start with something small. Sit. Roll over. Shake hands (or paws). For more experienced dogs, try having them put their toys away or help out around the house. They’ll feel more useful and confident. You’ll spend some quality time together, rather than them checking your Twitter feed over your shoulder, and you’ll both stay entertained. Win-Win.

Make your own treats.

Your pets might not be able to participate as much in making these, but they sure will love eating them. Sure, lots of people on Instagram have been making bread for some reason, but make something for your best friend instead— your pet. When your family member goes to the store, have them pick up some ingredients, and make an afternoon of it. Not only do you get to control the portions and ingredients you give them, but your furry friends will be impressed with your work. Baking for you, feasting for them.

Lilli is a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. This is her second year as a member of Her Campus and second as a Campus Trendsetter. Lilli is a senior journalism major at Emerson College with minors in fiction and women, gender, and sexuality studies. She's a bubbly Aries who loves to keep a busy schedule, but she always leaves enough room for food, friends, and curling up to watch HGTV. Follow her on Instagram @lillircohen
Emerson contributor