sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to (Productively) be Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

People often think of being single as the in-between time in your life, however, it doesn’t have to be that way. In fact most health professionals suggest using this time to improve yourself and your life. Here are 7 tips on how to productively be single:

1. Travel 

Here’s the truth: relationships tend to eat up time. Even when there is time to travel, couples are forced to compromise. Being single allows you to choose where you go. This is a perfect time to do that backpacking trip you always wanted to, or go visit a close friend or relative. Traveling alone shouldn’t be a deterrent, and if you find yourself baulking at this idea, you could always invite friends along. 

2. Don’t turn down small dates 

Even if you are not looking to get back into the dating scene, going on small dates could be really fun. This also gives you a chance to figure out what you admire or look for in a person. Building confidence in new social situations is an essential skill for all aspects of life!

3. Try new things—hobbies skills etc. 

Being single is a great time to focus inward and improve yourself. Trying out a new workout class or taking a class on something you’ve always been interested in is great in so many ways. Not only will this get you out of the house, but will also encourage you to meet new people and expand your connections. 

4. Get close with your friends 

When dating, we all have a horrible habit of spending the majority of time with our significant other while pulling away from our friends. After hard breakups our friends are the ones who are there for us. Try to spend some quality time together!

5. Try new haircuts/styles 

If you’ve always wanted to revamp yourself but have been afraid of your significant other’s reaction now is your time! Try that new haircut or dye your hair a different color—I promise it will grow back. 

6. Take care of yourself—exercise, mental health ect 

Your new alone time may make you feel sad and lonely at first, but it also means more time to better yourself. Working out not only improves confidence; you’ll feel a lot better after being active! 

7. Chase careers/goals 

Being single shouldn’t be thought of as the time in between great things. There is so much you can accomplish on your own surrounded by good friends and supportive family. Don’t forget to keep pushing towards your dreams!

Alex Brooke

Emerson '23

I am a creative writing major from VT! I'm also a certified scuba diver and overall ocean nerd, so it's an interesting blend of writing and marine biology.
Emerson contributor