This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Are you struggling to create a weight loss plan that works for you? Are you trying to be healthy, but still feeling bloated or sluggish? You’re working out, you think you’re choosing healthier food options, yet the weight just stays there. How frustrated you must feel!

Research shows that most “fad” diets just don’t work when it comes to dropping significant pounds. The best weight loss plans will teach you how to eliminate foods that are highly caloric and to substitute them with healthy choices.

Allow me to help you get rid of some of those unnecessary calories you are putting into your system. Here are some food swaps that will cut back on calories and fat and help you feel healthier.

Craving Hummus? Switch Out Pita for the Veggies

Put the pita bread aside! Hummus is a delicious, creamy protein-packed snack. If you change up the pita bread or crackers for sliced veggies instead, you’ll majorly drop the calories. Go grab some carrots and celery and dip them into the hummus. Plus, you gotta get your daily veggie dose anyway! Might as well do it with some yummy hummus.

Get Rid of That Skim Milk and Get Some Almond Milk

Though skim milk does have no fat and low calories, it can be high in sugar. You can step up your game and put some almond milk in your coffee or cereal instead of dairy. Almond milk has even less calories than skim milk and it adds a new taste to your palate. Plus it’s lactose free and has a great nutty flavor.

Put the Pretzels Aside and Grab the Almonds

Though pretzels are one of the lower fat snacks, the carbs do add up, plus they can be addicting because of the salty taste. If you feel like you’re just munching them for the crunch, swap out those pretzels for some unsalted raw almonds. This high protein snack will give you energy and won’t leave you feeling bloated or weighed-down! And almonds don’t contain too many calories and are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

Swap out Granola for Oatmeal

Sure, granola tastes delicious, but that’s because it’s actually loaded with sugar and fat. Take a look at the nutrition label—the fat content can be as high as 4 grams for 1/4 cup serving. One cup of granola equals 16 grams of fat! Granola is also filled with sugar. Fat + sugar = calories. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so it’s so important to start the day off right. Instead of having a tiny bowl of granola, eat a satisfying and nutritional serving of oatmeal. I recommend Bob’s Gluten Free Quick Rolled Oats with a little bit of coconut milk for some sweetness. It takes only a few minutes to cook and it will keep you full for hours.

Get Rid of That Ketchup and Bring In the Mustard!

I admit that I love ketchup. But there is a time and a place for it. Ketchup contains a ton of sugar. In only one tablespoon of ketchup, there is 19 calories. And let’s be realistic…who is only having one tablespoon of ketchup? It adds up quickly! In one tablespoon of mustard, there is only three calories, and no sugar! Double win!

White Bread? No Way! Grab the Whole Wheat Bread

White bread has little to no nutritional benefits—it’s empty calories. By switching to whole wheat bread for toast or sandwiches, you’ll still be able to enjoy bread (in moderation) while getting whole grains and fiber, which are super important for digestion. Whole wheat bread has fewer calories than white bread as well, and the taste really isn’t that different.

Who Wants Mayo When You Can Have Avocado?

C’mon, is this even a real issue? Who would turn down some delicious avocado! Avocado has many of the healthy fats our body needs. Instead of smearing that fattening (and rather smelly) mayo on our sandwiches, load up on the avocado for the same creamy texture you’re craving. Avocado beats mayo nutritionally any day.

So before you grab that pita bread for your hummus, or that granola to start your day – think of the unnecessary calories you’ll be eating! You’ll feel better, and you’ll look better when you eat intelligently by substituting for healthier foods.

Emerson contributor