Event Recap: Generic Magazine’s Generator Workshop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This past Tuesday Generic Magazine hosted their Generator Workshop! Due to technical difficulties, I wasn’t able to live tweet it like I promised here, but rest assured, if you’re wondering what went down, read below.

Source: Facebook

Melissa Close, Editor-in-Chief of Generic Magazine, led the workshop this past week. She provided those in attendance with five awesome prompts, four of which were multi-step. Each prompt had a different focus: fairy-tale retellings, post-apocalypse, mythological creatures, other worlds, and an image-based prompt. We had two-and-a-half minutes to write something for each step of the prompt, and five minutes total for the last one-step image-based prompt.

The best part was probably being able to hear what different people came up with for each prompt. It was amazing to hear how the same basis could provide so many different ideas for different people! Although, the free candy that Melissa gave away was definitely a close second.

Sad you missed out on this workshop? No worries! Generic will be doing more workshops soon, including a romance workshop on February 12, just in time for Valentine’s Day! Stay tuned for more info! And don’t forget to submit your genre-fiction short stories to emersongeneric@gmail.com by Wednesday, February 7 at 11:59PM!

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor