Dress for Your Best Feature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Fashionistas, like ourselves, are always looking to follow the latest trends, but not every look is right for our body. For example, a romper may look great on someone with a petite figure, but on someone with a curvier body, it can make them look larger than they actually are. Here are a few pointers on how to dress for your favorite feature, making you look and feel like a million bucks! Flaunt what your momma gave ya!

When you want to accent your bum:

A nice, well-tailored pencil skirt is great for the bum! The tight fit and length accentuates your butt, while making your waist and legs look skinnier, as shown on Jennifer Lopez above. Kim Kardashian is known for her great butt, and her skinny jeans do wonders!

When you want to show some leg:

When you don’t feel like wearing pants, and want to show a little leg, mini shorts are a great choice. Even more comfortable and stylish are shirt dresses, which make your legs look thin and long. Paired with heels or wedges, you can’t go wrong!

When you love your arms:

Show off those fabulous arms with cut-out sleeves. Showing skin in exactly the right places makes your arms look super skinny and feminine. If you want to set your arms completely free, opt for a halter top! 

When you want to show off the “girls”:

First things first: you MUST find the perfect fitting bra; don’t be afraid to splurge! The obvious choice is a nice fitting v-neck dress that shows some cleavage, while still making sure your breasts stay in their place! 

When you want to highlight your back:

Make as much of an exit as an entrance by showing off your back with a deep plunging backless dress or even a cut-out back. Sheer and lace accent the arch in your back, making you feel sexy! Just don’t forget to keep the “girls” in place with a well-made backless bra!

Brenna is a junior Journalism major and Marketing minor at Emerson College in Boston, MA. Originally from Elmira, NY, Brenna's passion's include reading. writing, fashion and especially music. She loves to sing and take voice lessons on the side. She is also a writer for Emerson Fashion Society and Social Media Chair for AEPhi. Her dream job would be to become a feature writer at Rolling Stone Magazine.
Emerson contributor