This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times I imagine how my day will pan out, it doesn’t seem to work out the way I plan. However, that doesn’t mean that I can’t do something to boost my spirits, to do something that will make my day a bit brighter, right? 

Treat yourself, this certainly did the trick for me. 

Recently, I found myself soaked in a puddle of stress. There were times when I would mentally rehash all the events that occurred that day. The swirling thoughts in my head definitely intensified the pressure that my body felt. It even burned any energy I had within me, which came as an inconvenience when I did not have enough energy to begin with. 

Despite the stresses inflicted upon me, somewhere in that brain of mine, I did have this spur-of-the-moment idea that I would treat myself to a good dinner. I did debate about giving in to this temptation, but I always found myself succumbing to the idea. 

From there, I go on Uber Eats, look at the various cuisines offered, and usually find myself ordering from the same restaurant. I almost always treat myself to dumplings, more specifically shrimp dumplings called har gaw, with either steamed rice or custard buns. After I confirm and it’s ready for pick up, I walk down to Chinatown with laser-sharp focus, ready to have a great meal. On top of the food, I like to buy myself jasmine boba tea as an added treat. Then, I am ready to eat. 

As I took a bite of the food, I did not feel like I was stress eating. I did not feel like I was using it as a way to forget about all the stress—it was certainly there, lurking somewhere in my thoughts, yet not as intense as before. With every bite of that delicious dumpling, or even a sip of my boba tea, I found myself, for even a moment, finding a sense of serenity, calm, relief that there was at least something that cheered me up. In a way, this was my “me-time,” the time when I could let myself breathe before getting back into the hustle and bustle of my life. 

Now and again, there will be days when all the plans are thrown out the window, and items on the to-do list are left unchecked. This may leave a sense of uneasiness, fear, dread, sadness, and stress, which may be a lot to process. When this happens, don’t forget to give yourself a pat on the back and allow yourself to do something that captures your heart’s desires. This doesn’t necessarily have to involve money; sometimes it is as simple as playing video games with your friends, attending an organization, or strolling around the city and taking in the beautiful sight of the leaves changing color. We all need to take a step back from our busy schedules, especially when days go south.

Sometimes, all we truly need is a little treat. Don’t forget that.

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.