Comfort Food Without the Calories: How to Eat Healthier this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When the temperatures drop, all we want to do is curl up in bed with a cup of hot chocolate and bowl of clam chowder. Unfortunately, that won’t do much for the hot bods we worked all summer for, and isn’t exactly good for us either. I picked out a few more health conscious alternatives to some typical winter favorites, that still have the same vibes as the comfort food we’ve come to love. 

Instead of a heavy chowder, try cauliflower soup!

This recipe for roasted brocolli cauliflower soup from Simply Scratch is a personal favorite, and the base of the soup is made mostly from low sodium chicken or vegetable stock instead of the loads of heavy cream used to make chowder. It also has bacon, so what could go wrong?

Instead of carb-loaded pasta, try spaghetti squash!

Who can resist macaroni and cheese? No one. Who wishes macaroni and cheese could have literally any nutritional value? Everyone. Well, your prayers have (kind of) been answered with the creation of spaghetti squash. Okay, so squash and pasta aren’t completely comparable, but this recipe for Spaghetti Squash Mac & Cheese from Popsugar is an excellent alternative to everyones favorite cheesy snack.

A health kick is no reason to give up dessert

There is a ‘skinny’ version of almost every dessert out there, don’t you worry. One of my favorite switches is this recipe from Skinny Mom for Apple Pie Cake, instead of regular old apple pie. Instead of filling up on sugar-filled apple pie this thanksgiving, try this healthy alternative!

Currently a sophomore film production student at Emerson College!
Emerson contributor