Wellness > Mental Health

Checking in with yourself when you’re an empath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I was vaguely familiar with the term “empath” for a few years before I finally realized that maybe the terminology applied to me. 

My friend, Lauren brought it up in conversation once, after I confided in her the ease with which I cried over music. I explained how chords could bring me to tears, how lyrics brought about a physical ache in my chest. Sometimes, I told her, it was too overwhelming. Songs and experiences that were distant and hadn’t been lived by me personally, could still affect me in a way that seemed all too personal. She stared at me in deep thought, took a breath, and nodded confidently before responding. 

“Seems to me like you’re an empath. Just like I am.” 

An empath is a “highly sensitive individual who is able to sense what people around them are thinking and feeling, sometimes to the point of taking on those feelings as their own.” It varies from mere sympathy in that it isn’t just understanding others emotions, it’s feeling them alongside them. You might be an empath if you find yourself weighed down in very crowded spaces, are often labelled as “too sensitive,” or become infatuated with particular relationships. 

There are tons of resources out there to really verify whether you’re an empath or not, but the harsh truth is that: these extreme levels of empathy can often be extremely draining, and it’s easy to forget to prioritize yourself. So…!

Here are some ways you can check in on yourself when you’re an empath!

Set aside time to recharge

Empaths tend to be introverts by nature, not because they dislike socializing, but because they need time after intense events to really gain back their energy. Setting aside time to recharge is crucial! This can be in both small and large ways. Throughout the day, take small breaks to breathe, stretch, or go for a short walk. When the emotions get too intense and piled up, set apart an entire day for yourself, treating yourself to your favorite meal, movie, and feel-good music. 

Don’t feel guilty about saying no

As an empath, you’re probably the person your friends go to for comfort and advice. It may seem inconsiderate to brush these people away, but when it comes to your mental health, you’ve got to put yourself first! Be kind always, but explain that you might not be in the best headspace to give out helpful advice. The people you’ve chosen to surround yourself with will surely be understanding.

Take a moment to feel proud of your emotional side

Being an empath is actually extremely beautiful, and emotional vulnerability is more rare to come by than one would assume. Find healthy outlets for your emotions, such as art and music. Shamelessly cry at gorgeous music, and let your heart ache for painful love stories as well as the hardships of the people you care most about. You’re bound to find like-minded people who share a passion for the intensity life has to offer. 

Long life the deep feeling empaths—what magical magical things we are!

Ale Cuellar

Emerson '22

20 year old media studies major from texas! probably binging a tv show or thinking about my dog.
Emerson contributor