This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that liked to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we have decided we wanted to introduce to you is the chapter at UW Stout! The chapter was founded in March 2014 by a group of roommates at Stout and has since grown to a team of 15 dedicated members. UW Stout has an impressive 98 percent success rate of finding a full-time job within six months of graduation, and the team points to the school as a stepping stone toward success. With this energy, HC UW Stout also wants to be a helpful resource for members’ futures. The CCs said it best: “There is so much potential with Her Campus to work with such a vibrant community and learn skills that are so important to the modern burgeoning professional.” HC UW Stout strives to help chapter members and the campus community as a whole learn and grow. 

Any successful chapter has to rely on the strength of its executive board, and HC UW Stout has six talented members to lead the team. Gaby Bleese and Stephanie Zengler are the Campus Correspondents of the chapter. Gaby is a sophomore studying business admin and supply chain management, and on top of that, she also serves as the chapter’s recruitment director. Stephanie is a senior business admin major with a minor in communication studies, and she also takes on the roles of senior editor and events director. Brinna is the chapter’s sorority liaison, and she is a sophomore in the apparel design and development program with minors in photography and journalism. Skyler Wolff is a freshman studying graphic design on top of serving as the marketing and publicity director. Hannah Plitzner is the treasurer of the chapter, and she is a freshman majoring in entertainment design. The newest e-board member is Margaret Schultz, a junior business admin major with a minor in communication studies, and she is HC UW Stout’s social media director.

HC UW Stout has spent the last year publishing a variety of interesting features. One of the chapter’s favorites is “15 Out of Context Quotes to Get You Through Your Hangover” by Stephanie Zengler. I love this article because it combines such motivational quotes with the step-by-step narrative of waking up after a little too much fun, which is something most of us can probably relate to at some point in college. The chapter also highlighted “19 Candles to Get You into the Holiday Spirit” by Margaret Schultz. As someone who draws way too much happiness from lighting ~festive candles~, I think this is a fun piece to get ready for the holiday season!

Besides publishing these great features, HC UW Stout has also been at work writing profile pieces. The chapter’s favorite is “Why Everyone Should Hear About Emma Sulkowicz’s Story of Mattress Performance” by Kendra Lamer. The piece highlights the performance art of Emma Sulkowicz, a former student at Columbia University who raised awareness of sexual assault on college campuses. For even more interesting articles, you can check out UW Stout’s HC page!

The chapter is more than an online magazine; they enjoy working on their campus presence and holding as many events as they can. In September, the team ran “Garnier Games,” an outdoor event on the campus lawn with backyard games like Twister, badminton, and frisbee. October was the month of “Fashion Night In,” a collaboration with Stout’s Fashion/Apparel Situation. The event was Disney-themed, with Disney Bounding looks (the art of using everyday clothing to replicate Disney characters’ outfits) and Disney Kahoot. Next on the event planning list is the upcoming “PMStival,” which will be dedicated to destigmatizing menstruation. The chapter will be partnering with their school government and the Women and Gender Studies department, so the event is sure to be a hit!

When asked about their favorite team memory, HC UW Stout points to last year’s Winter Parade. Freezing temperatures didn’t sway the team from participating! The chapter says it was a great way to bond as a team and with their community. 

From what I’ve learned about HC UW Stout, the chapter seems committed to their platform and making Her Campus a memorable experience for everyone involved. The chapter is always at recruitment fairs, tabling around campus, speaking in classrooms, and holding events, so they’re easy to find around campus. They describe themselves as “small, ambitious, and passionate.” Although the chapter is on the smaller side, they love the work they do and are always looking for new ways to connect with the community. Their goal for the semester is to move up a chapter ranking—clearly, HC UW Stout is committed to constantly improving!

To connect or become involved with HC UW Stout, be sure to visit their chapter page to keep up with all of their articles. You can also find them on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!

Bonus Questions: 

AS: What Hogwarts house does your chapter most identify with? 

CCs: We are decidedly Hufflepuffs, as the Slytherins were outvoted. 

AS: If your chapter could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

CCs: We are Honey Badgers. We may look small and innocent, but under the wire, ferocious beasts. Kind of like that scene in Monty Python. 

AS: Is your chapter team Edward or Team Jacob?  Or for daring, Team Kristen Stewart as a person?

CCs: We are actually team Bella. 

AS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people?

CCs: We are most definitely dog people!

AS: Does your chapter identify more with beaches or lakes?

CCs: With so many of us hailing from the land of 10,000 lakes, we are decidedly lake people. There just aren’t a ton of beaches in the area!

AS: What time of year (semester, trimester, quarter) has the best classes to add to your schedules?

CCs: Spring semester usually has the best classes. That’s when the classes typically offered once a year, or every other year come out of hiding.

(all photos credited to Her Campus at UW Stout)

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.