tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Chapter Spotlight Series: UToronto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Look around the campus at the University of Toronto, and you’ll probably be overwhelmed—it’s massive. But within that rolling campus, within that huge student body, you’ll find a group of students dedicated to publishing important articles that are interesting to a broad audience (the broad audience): the UToronto Her Campus team. 

Founded in 2011, and currently sitting at around 30 members (but always happy to have more), the chapter really covers its bases in terms of reach. They, “have such a diverse group of writers, both in terms of programs of study and as individuals.” The chapter has writers with majors in computer science, architecture, molecular genetics, English, and sociology, to name a few. But their accomplishments and goals extend far further than their academics. 

This chapter really goes above and beyond with the events they host: they run an annual conference “Her Story, Our Story” with a range of themes (last year’s was Women in Journalism) to encourage networking and do a handful of philanthropic events each year to give back to their community. 

So too, they never shy away from a story. They recently partnered with the University of Cape Town to produce a story on femicide in South Africa. They, “felt that it was important that this issue of femicide, gender-based violence and rape culture within South Africa be shared with the world or at least a North American audience in the hopes that awareness could be raised.” It was one of the articles the chapter is most proud of, you can read it here. On a note closer to home, they had another successful article, profiling a local business on their campus: “One of our writers interviewed a lady who runs a food truck on campus, and it was an absolute hit with the UofT student body! It gave them a chance to know more about someone whom many interact with on a consistent, if not daily, basis.” You can read that one here

As a chapter, they’re excited to be meeting recruitment goals and keeping to their M.O. of publishing unique content that the student body loves and can find themselves in. They describe themselves as diverse, creative, and ambitious—and from what I’ve learned of them, it’s not just hype. They’re doing really great work on their campus and for the Her Campus family in general. 

If you’re transferring to UToronto, or if you just want to stay up to date on the exciting things this chapter is putting out, you can follow and contact them on any of their social platforms (HC page, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest).

Keep an eye out on their Executive Board: 

Tasmiyah, Editor in Chief.

Olivia, Managing Editor. 

Farah, Logistics Director.

Krisha, Treasurer

Natalie and Bernetta, Social Media Directors.

Sana, Marketing and Events Director

I'm a senior at Emerson College, in an individually designed interdisciplinary program called Writing and Publishing on Inequality. You can catch me at school, culture writing, editing, or acting as a HerFuture Mentor here on HerCampus; doing economics research; writing for a data science company; co-running The Ethical Employment Company; or catching up on Netflix.