This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that liked to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus Chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we have decided we wanted to introduce to you, is the chapter at the University of Denver.  The chapter was founded in 2015 by a group of five women who had a passion for writing. Today, that passion has expanded to other members of the community, and their chapter has grown to about twenty writers from a variety of backgrounds. Although they are a small chapter they are really proud of their ability to write wonderful articles and create a loving community for their members.

With the growth of their chapter, also came the growth of their executive board. While they started with two campus correspondents and a senior editor, they have now expanded to include and events director and a social media director! One of their Campus Correspondents is April Vollmer, who is a fourth year double majoring in Psychology and Spanish. Her Co-CC is Maddie Gaynor, a second year student studying journalism and international studies. The senior editor on their executive board is Kendall Ungermann, a third year psychology major.  Manya Nagpal is the chapter’s events director, and she is a fourth year student majoring in psychology and french. Finally, running the chapter’s social channels and publicity is Hunter Hall, who is a fourth year journalism major. The HCDU chapter wanted to highlight some of the articles that they are most proud of, providing us with a list of three features and three profiles. The features that they wanted to highlight were Manya Nagpal’s “An Ode to the Love of my Life,” Maddie Gaynor’s “My Internship Experience: Nepal Edition,” and Olivia Venuta’s “I Think The ‘Freshman 15’ is BS and Here’s Why.” In terms of Profiles, the team wanted to spotlight Hunter Hall’s “Living in Sanctuary: Jeanette Vizguerra,” Hannah Renea Bumgarner’s “Sustainability in Newman: How Mari McCarville Made an Impact,” and April Vollmer’s “Undergraduate Student Government Elections: An Inside Look with Jenni Trigilio.” To check out more articles by the DU team on their Her Campus Page

Moving forward into this year, the team is really excited to paint pumpkins as a team bonding activity in the coming weeks! They are also planning a ‘Milk n’ Cookies cram sesh to prepare for finals, and a team pizza dinner during finals. The team has also started doing weekly giveaways! Although they are having a great time, they wanted to make sure that everyone knows how much they really miss their old CC Claire. Rumor has it that Claire was an exceptionally talented baker, and used to always bring goodies for the chapter to enjoy. Really, DU is excited to continue growing as a chapter and expanding both their membership and social media presence. 

If you are just starting your time at DU, whether as a transfer or first year student, don’t expect to find a football team! DU is a hockey school through and through, so get ready to head on down to the rink instead of the stadium. And if hockey isn’t your thing, and you would rather work for a really cool online magazine, you can join your friendly neighborhood girl gang at HCDU! In order to join the chapter self described as “passionate, eloquent, and unique”, you can either reach out via email (hc.du@hercampus.com) or reach out through any of their social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest––though they are most active on Instagram and Facebook).

Bonus Questions: 

TS: What Hogwarts house does your chapter most identify with? 

CCs: Ravenpuff because we don’t even know. 

TS: If your chapter could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

CCs: Sharks because fish are friends, not food. 

TS: Is your chapter team Edward or Team Jacob?  Or for daring, Team Kristen Stewart as a person?

CCs: Team Kristen, she don’t need no man! 

TS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people?

CCs: Denver is a dog place, so are we 

TS: Does your chapter identify more with beaches or lakes?

CCs: Question challenge: we cannot be anything but a mountain chapter (Writer’s note: I concede this as a fair point.) 

TS: What time of year (semester, trimester, quarter) has the best classes to add to your schedules?

CCs: Fall Quarter

*All pictures provided by HC DU*

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.