nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Be An Awesome Intern This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Congrats on getting that amazing summer internship! Summer internships are where you can make connections, learn what you like and don’t like, expand your knowledge of a field and get real-world experience. You want to be on your A-game the whole time, though. Follow these steps and you’ll be an awesome intern this summer!

1. Show up every day

Though this seems silly, some people totally skip out some days and don’t show up to their internships. Be sure to go to bed early every night before work so you’ll be completely rested. Set an alarm, jump in the shower, and eat some breakfast. Do everything you can do to be the best version of yourself. Go to work with a smile on – you should be excited! Also, be on time!

2. Put your phone away

It’s super unprofessional to be on Facebook, Twitter, other social media sites or texting when you’re on the job. Be respectful; put your phone on silent and stick it in your purse. What’s so important you need to check, anyway?

3. Dress appropriately

For the first few days of work, dress up a little bit. Once you are able to scope out the dress code, then you can change it up. If the dress code is business casual, be sure to rule out jeans. You can express yourself with your clothes, but don’t go too crazy. Don’t be shy to ask what the dress code is prior to your first day! You’re interning there to learn job skills, not to worry about clothes (unless you’re working with fashion!). Remember to always be presentable.

4. Don’t be pretentious

You’re an intern, which means you’re there to learn (and sometimes to do the work no one else wants to do). Don’t even think twice about talking back or making negative comments about being an intern or about the workload. You’re an intern to gain experience, so it won’t be luxurious. It’s important to note that you should be treated well – especially if it’s unpaid!

5. Write down everything

At the end of every week, write down some of the tasks you did and some of the things you learned. It’s great to look back on when you’re interviewing for future jobs or updating your resume, and it’s also great to show future employers what you can do. Show that you can do some serious work.

6. Ask if there’s anything you can do

If you’ve finished a project or task, don’t sit around expecting someone to be ready for you. Waiting around for someone to give you something to do is a waste of your time and the company’s time. Once you finish, ask, “Is there anything I can help you with?” Tasks won’t always go to you, so you have to go to them! Plus, this will let people know you are eager to learn and willing to help.

7. Speak up

If you’re confused about instructions or you’re having problems with a task, don’t be afraid to ask someone for help. Though you may feel silly and stupid for asking a simple question, no one expects you to be an expert from the beginning. You have to start from the bottom and learn. Also, don’t be shy to ask questions about the business, the company or the industry. Showing that you care will give you some major points!

Internships can be fun, exciting, and stressful all at the same time. You’ve worked so hard to get the job, so you might as well bring all you’ve got and do a great job. There will be good days and bad days, but always go in with a positive attitude. Also, don’t forget to ask for a letter of recommendation!

Emerson contributor