Wellness

7 Realistic Tips for Maintaining Healthy Habits in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Students embark on the journey toward independence in college, learning how to care for themselves. However, students often abandon essential healthy habits due to overwhelm in classes, homework, extracurricular activities, new friends, and chores. We can lose our grounded selves and ignore crucial aspects of self-care. Here are some tips to realistically incorporate healthy habits to mentally and physically improve our well-being and performance in school. 

Maintain a Clean Space

A clean and organized room creates the feeling of stability and control. An organized desk or a made bed allows one to feel accomplished and productive. A messy and cluttered space creates a chaotic and stressful atmosphere, negatively affecting mood and motivation. A decluttered environment leads one to feel more confident and “put together.” There is less room for distraction, which allows your brain to process information more efficiently. 

Furthermore, invest in ways to decorate your room that best embraces your personality. You can also fill your dorm room with plants, colors or quotes that elicit positivity and peace. 

Nutrition

Most college students struggle to integrate a healthy diet into their lifestyle due to a lack of time and resources. But that does not have to be true. Students can regain more control of their diet through the college meal plan and investment in healthy snacks. Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet includes eating three meals a day and two to three snacks. Each meal should have carbohydrates (potatoes, bread, or any grain), protein (chicken, fish, turkey, beans) and fruits and vegetables. 

Grocery shop for nutrient-dense snacks to put in your mini-fridge. Snacks such as blueberries, nuts, and dark chocolate are proven to support brain development and memory, useful for studying and focus. 

Hydration is also a key element to a healthy diet. Your brain is 73% water, so hydration is essential for proper cognitive functioning. Ensure that you have easy access to water, whether having a brita filter, a reusable water bottle or water coolers. 

Nutrition determines your overall mood, energy and productivity. The proper nutrients can guide you toward a clear mind beneficial for social gatherings and schoolwork.

Plan your day

Get out a piece of paper or a planner and write a list of objectives for your day. We can easily forget specific responsibilities within the chaos of daily events, but mapping out the day can declutter your mind. This practice can also increase your productivity and motivation. Crossing off dreaded tasks will generate a feeling of accomplishment. 

Also, schedule time for relaxation and self-care. Most students get consumed by assignments, so prioritizing self-care is essential to creating balance in your day. You can dedicate at least an hour or two to watching a show, journaling, reading or listening to music.

Daily Movement 

As busy college students, daily exercise or going to the gym would be a luxury. But there are still ways to incorporate movement. We can achieve the benefits of working out through non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT). Walking, standing, cleaning or dancing are forms of low-intensity activity that help release endorphins and get your blood flowing. Sitting in class or working on our desks restricts us from releasing energy. But dedicating at least 15 minutes of movement in the day will improve our overall mood and health.  

Daily Affirmations 

We can easily fall into traps of negative self-thought during stressful and frustrating days. But daily affirmations are a great way to boost your self-esteem and remind you of your worth. You can write on a sticky note a list of positive aspects about yourself and place it on your mirror to encourage productivity and raise your confidence. This is definitely useful before a difficult class or social gathering. 

Leave Your Room

While alone time is still crucial for a healthy lifestyle, an excess amount of isolation can lead to consumption in thought, forgetting about the outside world. Walking in nature or exploring campus can release anxiety and guide you toward clarity. 

Socialization and connecting with others can also distract you from worries and allow you to have fun and immerse yourself in new experiences. Reach out to others or join clubs to generate a community of support and acceptance

Sleep

Sleep is how your brain recharges to process and absorb information effectively. Even though all-nighters are a part of being a college student, make sure to include at least six hours of sleep every night, including naps. Sleep deprivation causes your hormones to shift and affects proper cognitive functioning. 

Incorporating these habits into your daily routine can create a sense of control and security within the stress-inducing transition into adulthood. Self-compassion and self-care contribute to your mental health and overall mood and behavior. Engaging in these healthy habits may be difficult, but they are essential to reconnect with yourself and recognize your needs. 

Work Cited

Harvard University. “Healthy Eating Plate.” The Nutrition Source, 16 Mar. 2021, 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/.

Jennings, Kerri-Ann. “11 Best Foods to Boost Your Brain and Memory.” Healthline, Healthline 

Media, 18 June 2021, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-brain-foods.  

Hi! I'm Hannah Shemtov, and I'm a student studying journalism and psychology at Emerson College. I enjoy reporting on culture and international news and is interested in producing for broadcast.