6 Ways to Relax When You’re Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s the home stretch of the semester, and the workload is starting to pile up. Suddenly, you have three papers, a presentation, and two group projects due before the end of the semester, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Don’t worry, collegiettes. We’ve compiled a list of ways to calm yourself down when life gets a little too stressful.

1. Take a bath

It seems cliché, but it works. Soaking in hot water and allowing yourself a break from all of life’s worries can relax your body and refresh your mind.

2. Take a walk

Fresh air does wonders for the body and mind. If you’re feeling stressed, pop in your headphones, play some killer music and take a walk around the block. The air is guaranteed to make you feel better.

3. Light a few candles and meditate

Look up a video of meditation music on YouTube, light a couple of your favorite scented candles and sit down for a meditation sesh. It doesn’t have to be long, but allowing your brain to really clear out can be very helpful for your stress level.

4. Make a to-do list

If you’re overwhelmed with work, it can be really helpful to outline exactly what it is you need to get done. Rank the list in order of what’s due first, and make your way down. Every time you check something off, you’ll feel one step closer to your goal, which will motivate you to finish the list.

5. Take a nap

If you have the time, take a short nap. Sometimes, when stress really overtakes us, we need to power down for a little while. A nap can be a good vacation away from the real world, and you’ll wake up feeling more in control of yourself and your emotions.

6. Eat something delicious

Comfort eating shouldn’t be your go-to 24/7, but sometimes it’s okay to binge on your favorite snacks. Grab one of your favorite foods or order out, and enjoy the meal to its fullest. Sometimes the enjoyment of the food can calm us down and let us take a break from what’s going on inside our heads.

At the end of the day, it’s important to put things into perspective. Something that feels like it could be the end of the world probably won’t matter sooner than you think. When you’re feeling like you just can’t handle your workload, try out some of these tips!

Emerson contributor