6 Ways to Make Spring Break Cheaper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While many of us dream of lounging on a Caribbean beach sipping daiquiris with our friends, not all of us have the expenses to make it happen. Though a fun and relaxing spring break sounds ideal, it isn’t always possible with our budgets. But have no fear! Even broke college students can have a fun and fulfilling spring break, so long as they take measures to bring down the cost.

1. Plan early

There’s no better way to save yourself some money than by booking your travel arrangements early! The earlier you plan your spring break trip, the cheaper it will be. Planning a few months early will give you access to better flights and cheaper hotels.

2. Go somewhere underrated

Cancun has been hyped up, but have you ever considered hitting another beachy location? While relaxing on a resort seems carefree, you’ll certainly be stressed when paying off your parents. To save money, opt for a less sought-after location!

3. Make it a short trip

Most of us are given a full week for break, but that doesn’t mean you have to jet off for the entirety of it. There’s nothing wrong with spending a few days on vacation and the rest of the week back home – plus, it’ll save your bank account some damage!

4. Travel unconventionally

A first class flight may be a lot more comfortable than traveling by other means, but it’s not always the cheapest. Consider making some sacrifices in transportation in order to cut your budget! Take non-direct flights, express trains or even catch a coach bus to your destination.

5. Make your meals

While you may blame the flights and hotels for your big spending, other elements of your trip can certainly add up – including meals. Instead of eating out at expensive restaurants for every meal, consider taking a trip to the grocery store and making your own food!

6. Flash your student ID card

Your student ID isn’t just good for tapping in and out of buildings! It can save you big bucks at a number of places, including museums, restaurants, and landmarks. When you’re paying the bill, don’t be afraid to ask if they offer a student discount – it can pay off!

With a little shuffling of the budget, a couple sacrifices and some compromises, your ideal spring break can be possible. As long as you take some measures to cut your expenses, you can have a fun and fulfilling break!

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Emerson contributor